Just got my UnaBiker Rad Guards....WTF??

11 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted May 22, 2005 - 12:58 PM

Just got my new Unabiker Rad guards for my 05 450, and they look nothing like the picture on the website... http://www.unabiker.com/

On the website, they look like they are one piece units, there are cross braces, and there is a big UNABIKER logo on the outside.
The ones I got are two pieces (per side), no cross braces whatsover, and there is no logo. Looks like one piece goes on the front, and one on the back and they just bolt on.

Anyone else who has installed these get the same ones? They are completley different from the website pics... :) :D

• Cairn

Posted May 22, 2005 - 03:32 PM

WaGuy,

Just installed the Unabiker rad guards on my WR450 yesterday. There are two parts for each side. I wasn't happy with the finish (there were lots of scratches, scuffs and small gouges), but the guards fit fairly well and are as solid as a rock when tightened up. I did need to do a little filing in order to get one of the holes to line up, and replaced six of the washers with the larger size (mine came with two large and six small :) ). After putting the bike back together I was O.K. with the appearance and very satisfied with the apparent strength of the guards. :D

Cairn

• extex

Posted May 22, 2005 - 04:21 PM

Same story here. 4 pieces but if you use larger washers (and make sure you put the mounting attachments next to the frame bars and not on the outside) then they fit well and seem to provide solid protection. I'm satisified with mine.

• fish525

Posted May 22, 2005 - 05:47 PM

I had a similar experience but they had to send me new Pisces for the right side to fit my IMS tank after drilling new holes in them and getting it all tightend up they work great

• wr429j

Posted May 22, 2005 - 06:31 PM

My guards were in good condition when I recieved them. They fit up perfectly and finish is good (I am a machinist and for the $$ finish is fine, remember they are not making jewelry) I would be mad if they were a hassle to fit up. I think they are a good value. They should put the hardware in a plastic bag, when I took my guards out the hardware was loose and went everywhere. Large washers a must!!!

• Desracer

Posted May 22, 2005 - 09:26 PM

I have them on my 05 and they fit snug, with no drilling or filing needed. I was looking for a guard with side impact protection and this unit has it. I am very happy with them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Juiceman

Posted May 23, 2005 - 12:17 AM

Just got my new Unabiker Rad guards for my 05 450, and they look nothing like the picture on the website...

Hey at least you got yours :D I paid for mine quite a while ago the guy at TT store said they would be drop shipped. I havent seen them yet :) :D If when I get them they dont fit up good I am going to be pissed :) I could have had some guards by now if I would have went down to the dealer. And while I'm ranting I was also un-happy about paying $35 for 2 aluminium taper fit plugs (advertised as AIS removal kit) I know they are made for the bike but I think $15 would be more than fair for what I got.....

• unabiker

Posted May 23, 2005 - 05:15 AM

Just got my new Unabiker Rad guards for my 05 450, and they look nothing like the picture on the website... http://www.unabiker.com/

On the website, they look like they are one piece units, there are cross braces, and there is a big UNABIKER logo on the outside.
The ones I got are two pieces (per side), no cross braces whatsover, and there is no logo. Looks like one piece goes on the front, and one on the back and they just bolt on.

Anyone else who has installed these get the same ones? They are completley different from the website pics... :) :D

These are the 2 pics on my site under the heading WR 450:
Posted Image http://mywebpages.co...47/MVC-009F.JPG
If you look closely, you will notice that they are indeed made of 2 pieces per side, with no supporting rods. I do use support rods on my KTM and DRZ400S guards, as those bikes don't have a good place to anchor a brace like the WR450 does. I've never done a 1 piece guard for the WR450, as the outter flange of the radiator sticks out at a 45 degree angle. A 1 piece guard on this particular bike would make the shroud stick out an extra inch, and it would really suck to try to get the lower shroud bolt to attach.
I believe you got a black anodized set of guards. The black anodizing makes the logo blend into the background a bit, as the contrast between the machined and unmachined surface is less.
For those requesting larger washers, your wish is my command. I went with the smaller washers, as they seemed to do an adequate job, and they save a few grams of weight over the larger ones. Your opinions on stuff like this carry a lot more weight than mine and I'm happy to make changes.
I'll also source a thicker weight bag for the hardware. I do put it all in a little baggie, but I'm seeing they sometimes break open in shipping.
For those who are waiting on guard to arrive, I'm sorry you have to wait. I don't do the anodizing in house, and the service I use occasionaly gets backed up. This does result in some delays. I hate making people wait for stuff because I hate waiting for stuff. I am educating myself on what it's going to take to bring the anodizing in house, but there are some intimidating chemicals involved in the process and some OSHA regulations that go along with them.
There is no instruction manual on how to manufacture the perfect rad guard. The closest thing I've got is threads like this (one more reason why I love TT.) I'm more than happy to make whatever changes you guys would like. I make these for YOU. If you see a better way to do it, please tell me and I'll be happy to do it.
Brian Bennett
Unabiker Racing

• stonewall

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:27 AM

The Unabiker guards are one of the best mods I've made to my '05. The fit was perfect and the protection is great. If I had to find something to snivel about then it would be the small washers but they get the job done. Thanks Brian. :)

• WaGuy78

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Cool, thanks for setting my mind at ease. I have already bent the CRAP out of my left radiator (not leaking, but pretty mangled). Wish I had the guards before I crashed it... :D

Am I going to have a huge issue trying to get these guards on? :)

• unabiker

Posted May 23, 2005 - 10:13 AM

Cool, thanks for setting my mind at ease. I have already bent the CRAP out of my left radiator (not leaking, but pretty mangled). Wish I had the guards before I crashed it... :D

Am I going to have a huge issue trying to get these guards on? :)

Hard telling, but I'd guess that it won't be easy.
You might want to send it off to Myler's to have it straightened to save yourself some hassle. You can kind of tweak it back into shape a bit yourself, but aluminum gets weaker everytime you bend it or re-bend it. It may not leak right now, but if you try to force it back into shape, it might start leaking.

• WaGuy78

Posted May 23, 2005 - 10:20 AM

Thats kind of what I figured....I guess I will have to just put one on for now, and see what happens... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.