Different idle problem

6 replies to this topic
  • bork

Posted May 22, 2005 - 09:19 AM

My bud got his 97 xr600r 650 kit installed with cam (dont know cam stage) from I believe thumper racing. Bike seems to stall easily . and if stopping to chat or what ever , the engine will stalls after about 10 -20 seconds. Idles really good and smooth too. Then coughs once and stops. Anyone else have same problem ? I loaned him my stock carb which worked fine when I took off my bike , because I have a QS now , but still stalls on his bike . BTW He changed pulse generator and no difference.

• bork

Posted May 22, 2005 - 08:17 PM

bump :)

• Miker

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:54 AM

He is having a lean stumble. You need to get more fuel in at idle. I had a 96 that did the same thing. The only semi cure I found was raising the needle all the way up. I could not make it rich enough with any pilot jet changes and I tried a lot. It made the bike a real PITA as it would stall at street lights (dual sported) with no warning. I eventually sold it and got the 650R. No more problem. I am thinking that a power now or a torque vane might help with the problem too. It would speed the air up over the venturis pulling a little more fuel. Might just work...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:27 AM

Miker , That is what I say too . Bud did increase pilot jet .(problem stayed the same) But wouldn't bike idle wierd if to lean? . It idles good now untill it cough/stall. Also stock carb at 1/2 choke would change something . wouldn't it ?

• miguelitro

Posted May 23, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Lean is mean so it will idle fine. move the needle clip down(moving needle up) to make idle richer. it may help him to get a dyno jet kit which has a tapered needle allowing a richer condition. i think that Honda might sell one too but i dont have a # for either.
Mike

• bork

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:41 PM

But does needle even do anything at idle ?

• Miker

Posted May 23, 2005 - 08:53 PM

But does needle even do anything at idle ?

I would say no but it made my bike stop coughing and dying.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.