Valve adjust intervals YZ426

11 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted May 22, 2005 - 03:12 AM

How often typically does one need to adjust valves on a YZ426? I've got maybe 40 or 50 hrs since the last adjust and it's acting like it needs it again, popping at high rpm's and very little compression when it's cold.

• Satch0922

Posted May 22, 2005 - 06:45 AM

you are due. I always checked mine about every 25-30 hrs although I only shimmed them once in 2+ years.

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2005 - 09:39 AM

What normally happens is that they will go for a very long time without needing an adjustment at all (my 450 hasn't needed one yet). After the first one, it may go for another very long time, or some far shorter interval, or something in between, depending on how much wear there was. The valves are coated with an extremely hard Ti Nitride that takes a long time to wear through, but the titanium underneath is still not as hard as steel. When the coating wears through, the valve wear accelerates, and it's time to replace them.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 22, 2005 - 11:23 AM

I've had my 01' since new and I've checked many times, but haven't needed an adjustment yet. Wish I could ride every week like some of the guys on here then maybe they would have needed it by now. :)

• Goosedog

Posted June 04, 2005 - 11:24 AM

Bumping this thread to make it current again and asking you mechanics out there what the normal charge for a 426 valve adjust should be. I want to stay with my favorite mechanic but I'm wondering if his shop manager is shooting straight. Before they did the work they said it should run between $90 and $120, the lower figure if no adjustment and the higher would include shims. When I went to pick it up he says the "book" indicates it should really be $180 and will be next time. What's up with that? What's it supposed to cost?

• Hamish

Posted June 04, 2005 - 02:19 PM

not sure what you labour rate is over there but if the bike is supplied clean (spotles under the tank, frame rail etc) and no adjustment is required, it should be able to be done in about 1.5 hrs. If shims need to be changed, make it about 2 - 2.5 hrs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Btwick

Posted June 06, 2005 - 11:16 AM

I was quoted $170 here in the Bay area - where everything is more expensive.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted June 07, 2005 - 06:35 AM

That robbery! I'm sure it would cost about the same her in So Cal too.
Find a buddy who knows what they're doing and have them give you a hand the first time. Its easy and to pay $170 is hard to swallow.

• Dano426

Posted June 07, 2005 - 11:09 AM

$10 feeler gauges
$100 for Torque wrench (in inches)

A free manuel (look under Misc) and look under "Engine - Adjusting YZFs Valves" for directions.

Take some time on a rainy weekend and then you will know how it is done.

I check mine every 50 hours or so.

• Serenity Now

Posted June 07, 2005 - 05:46 PM

If you go ahead and take your tank and shrouds off before you take it into the shop they may knock your labor rate down by 30 mins or so too. Shops want about $70/hr here which is why I normally do the work myself. If you open it up and don't think you can adjust them, maybe then you could take it in to the shop?

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2005 - 07:51 AM

$100 for Torque wrench (in inches)

:)
Might be worth it if you're starting a career in M/C repair, but to work on your own bike, try $30 or less for a quality 1/4" flex beam wrench from Craftsman or Proto. It will fit under the frame without extensions or adapters, too. Heck, you can even buy a Blue Point off the Snap-on truck for half of a hundred or less.

• pontala

Posted June 08, 2005 - 09:49 PM

I like that allways a possitive guy!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.