Just bought a 2001 YZ426, what maintenance should I do?

2 replies to this topic
  • rlp1

Posted May 21, 2005 - 08:20 PM

Hi, I just bought a 2001 YZ426 from someone local. Anyways, it seems like the bike was taken care of well enough, the motor runs strong, just the fork seals were blown, and he neglected the forks, we're getting them serviced at a shop to be safe.

Anyways, what should I check or fix on the bike first? I haven't done any motor inspection yet, since I just got a Clymer manual today. Anything I should watch out for and be careful of? Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maximus86

Posted May 21, 2005 - 09:01 PM

change the oil
and check all fasteners

then ride it for a while then take it to a shop and check the vavles or do it yourself

• Hamish

Posted May 21, 2005 - 11:07 PM

I'd check the valves asap, then check them again after about 10 hrs riding. This will let you know if they are on the move or not. I'm just in the process of replacing the valves in my 01 WR. The gearboxes die quite often in the WR's due to pavement use, but unless your bike has done had motard use you shouldnt have that problem. Then all the other stuff you need to do when you buy a 2nd hand bike like lubeing the steering head , swingarm and linkages etc etc.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.