I think I need a XR600 steering stem....

3 replies to this topic
  • StevePSD

Posted May 21, 2005 - 02:01 PM

I've been working the forks on my '87 XR600 and think I found a big problem.....the threads on the steering stem are almost non-existent. I can only get the nut to engage a few threads. The nut is fine. When i bought the bike I found that the steering stem bearings where almost ground to dust, I replaced them and noticed that the threads were sparse, but it seemed to work ok. Not anymore. There is not enough material left on the stem to try to re-thread.

Anyone have a steering stem from a '85-'87 XR600 that they need to get rid of?

Thanks.

• don87xr600

Posted May 21, 2005 - 03:06 PM

I've got one from a 1988 cr500, I think it's the same part. Call a honda shop and see if the part #'s are the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StevePSD

Posted May 21, 2005 - 06:18 PM

Don,

I checked the service honda parts diagrams......the part #'s are different. 53200-MK2-000 for the '85-'87 XR600; 53200-KS6-700 for the '88 CR500.
In fact they show a different steering stem for almost every year the CR500 was in production.

Don't know if they are really different...they use the same upper and lower bearings, the dust seals are the same part # and so is the nut. Are they the same length, fork diameter and offset? Don't know.

• don87xr600

Posted May 22, 2005 - 08:40 AM

they are the same diameter, but the offset is different. You would have to press out the stems and switch them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.