Break in oil after rebuild

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted May 20, 2005 - 01:30 PM

Any particular oil weight I should look for or avoid? stay away from synthetics? any helpful advice is appreciated.

• jonova

Posted May 20, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Stay Away From Synthetics For Break In!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2005 - 03:16 PM

Use your normal oil and change it after 2-3 hours. There is no reason whatever to avoid synthetics during break-in other than they cost a lot and it's cheaper to "throw away" dino oil.

I broke my 250F in on the same Mobil 1 MX4T that I use in the bike all the time, and it has not used a drop of oil since before its 4th hour of operation.

BTW, ...your new avatar.... :D :)

• 642MX

Posted May 20, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Right on Grayracer. I know a distributer for Amsoil and I asked him the same question about using synthetics for break in and he said go ahead and keep using the same oil I've been using (motorex 10W50). :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Just so you know, and in spite of the fact that I think he's right this time, distributors selling a product might not be a good source for accurate technical info. :)

• 642MX

Posted May 20, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Just so you know, and in spite of the fact that I think he's right this time, distributors selling a product might not be a good source for accurate technical info. :)

Very true, but I trust this guy. The shop I work for buys product from him all the time. But you are right, most distributer's will tell you anything if they can make a dollar.

• hitech

Posted May 20, 2005 - 08:34 PM

All true.

A good dealer/distributor will, and should, know more about his/her product than the average guy on the street. So find a good one that you can trust. They're out there trying to make a living just like everybody else!

But as in all cases, buyer beware!

• DigilubeJay

Posted May 20, 2005 - 09:12 PM

Amsoil salesmen giving technical engine advise. YIKES!
That's like asking a dealer for jetting recommendations.

Guarantee they will both have the answers!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.