Need pics of hotcams timing.

6 replies to this topic
  • jespertheil

Posted May 20, 2005 - 01:06 PM

I´m about to install a set of hotcams. Does anyone have a picture of the cams and the dot allignment on the two?
Searched the forum, but all pics where timed out on the servers...
Just to make sure everything is turning allright..

• jonova

Posted May 20, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I am just about to put them in my WR426 and would love to see some pics too. I have searched as well and found no pics. Did your cams come with instructions??

• jespertheil

Posted May 21, 2005 - 01:02 AM

Yes it did, and a lot of stickers... :D
I can scan it and mail it to you later today if you want. Just pm me.. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergRyder

Posted May 21, 2005 - 10:05 PM

Click on the following link to the Hotcams website and you can download the installation instructions.
Isn't technology great? :)

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted May 22, 2005 - 06:07 PM

If you follow the manuals instructions, you can't go wrong. You have two dots, they're aligned 90 degrees out. The intake will have one dot up and the other facing rearwards aligning with parallel with you head. Your exhaust cam will have one dot up and one facing forward, again parallel with you head. Your cams won't be compressing your springs. Hot Cams recommends that you also check for coil bind, I've done two bike neither had coil bind. You'll need to measure your valve lash, I needed to change 4 of the 5 shims.

• mj2412

Posted May 23, 2005 - 04:35 AM

i installed the 426 exhaust hotcams like written before. One dot facing up and one dot facing forward. I´m not 100% sure its right because it is tough to kick the starter and far away from "kick it with your hands". On the other side the bike runs great and has plenty of power. If someone has a picture with the installed hotcams please send me. Thanks

• jespertheil

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:49 AM

I installed the cams like the manual shows. But my problem was that i could not turn the engine, because the valves would hit the piston. First i thought that it could be because of my 13,5:1 wiseco piston. I tried to install some smaller shims to start with, just to see if that would do the trick. It didn´t!! Then i searched the net again and found out that on a 450 cam you would need to rotate the exhaust cam one tooth in order to make it work. I tried that, and then i were able to turn the engine.. Hmm,,, then i tried to move it back again and i was still able to turn the engine... :)
So something must have popped up and misplaced itself. Everything is in place now and the engine runs great. Haven´t been on the track yet though, need to reshim it first. But it isn´t easy to jump it, you need to really put some weight on the kickstarter in order to turn it. I hope it is because it a lot out of valve spec.. So that the autodec can´t open the valve enough to let the pressure all out.. :D

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.