Happy with 02 WR426 forks?

8 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted May 20, 2005 - 12:01 PM

Are most of you guys with this year WR happy with your forks, and are there any recommended changes to be made aside from ensuring fork springs are correct for your weight?

• wrkaholic

Posted May 20, 2005 - 05:50 PM

I have the same bike, free mods, yz timed, twin air filter, etc..... . I had an XR650 before this bike and I think the WR426 forks are way better. I can ride much more aggressive with the Yamaha forks. I changed the rear spring to match my weight (240 lbs) and never looked back. I guess it would be better to match the front fork springs to your weight, but, I never had the urge. They are plenty stiff for the riding I do. :)

• byggd

Posted May 21, 2005 - 04:13 AM

When you say YZ timed what does that mean?

• slotracer577

Posted May 21, 2005 - 06:03 AM

When you say YZ timed what does that mean?

Using YZ cam timing on the older bikes or putting in a YZ cam for the newer bikes with the auto decompress. The YZ cam timing is about 1 tooth different on the exhasut cam which makes the motor rev quicker.

John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted May 21, 2005 - 07:03 AM

Cool! That's what I was hoping to hear. I just ordered a 03YZ 450 ex cam for my 02 426 a couple of days ago. Can't wait to to get it so I can drop it in and feel the difference :D

Thanks! :)

• wrkaholic

Posted May 21, 2005 - 08:31 AM

You do not need a new cam for YZ timing on a 02 WR426. You use the original cam and just change the cam timing. You move the chain one tooth on the exhaust cam. It is FREE mod.

I love the YZ timing change on my WR426

• dirtr1der

Posted May 22, 2005 - 06:12 PM

I have the other free mods done to my 426. How much difference will I feel moving the cam chain one tooth on the exhaust cam??? Is it worth the work???

• simon@vic

Posted May 22, 2005 - 10:23 PM

I have the other free mods done to my 426. How much difference will I feel moving the cam chain one tooth on the exhaust cam??? ?

yes ,you will feel a big difference.
all WRs need yz cam timing IMHO. On the 426 it is free unless you want the auto decomp cam from a 2003-2005yz. i say for the price, buy the auto decomp.

• pjriss

Posted May 23, 2005 - 11:45 AM

I didn't like my stock 02 426 forks. I like them a lot with Race Tech valves. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.