need help .... front spring removal

17 replies to this topic
  • drive805

Posted May 19, 2005 - 06:42 PM

i need to change out the front springs only, can i do this without to much hassle or should i just take it to a suspension shop?....the service manual isn't much help......i would like to ride this weekend ...
so can anyone help..... thanks in advance

• drive805

Posted May 19, 2005 - 06:44 PM

sorry its an 02 wr426 with .48 springs to stiff for my 195lbs....

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 19, 2005 - 07:19 PM

No, its a snap. Remove your front wheel, then losen the caps on the top, then remove each tube from the triple clamp. Now remove the screw on the top and slid the tube section down a little bit. Now you will need a thin 17mm open end wrench to undo the top retainer. Unscrew it fromt he stud, slid the spring out, slide the new one it, reverse the above and your on your way. With the forks out of the triple tree, the spring change will take you a whopping 5 minutes a side. Seriously, do it yourself, its a snap! :)

• drive805

Posted May 19, 2005 - 07:33 PM

wow cool i will get right to work thanks....

• Hamish

Posted May 20, 2005 - 02:52 AM

:) I can't see why you'd even need to remove the front wheel or the forks. I've never done it this way but cant see why it youldnt work.
remove bars. jack under engine to hold the weight of the bike, undo the caps and remove from dampner rod with 17mm spanner as described. Then remove the springs and reverse procedure.

• ncmountainman

Posted May 20, 2005 - 06:19 AM

:) I can't see why you'd even need to remove the front wheel or the forks. I've never done it this way but cant see why it youldnt work.
remove bars. jack under engine to hold the weight of the bike, undo the caps and remove from dampner rod with 17mm spanner as described. Then remove the springs and reverse procedure.

ditto,the jack works great when just changing springs. but be careful not to rip the last couple threads from the caps when you let it down. also make sure the top clamp bolts are loose before loosening/tightening the cap. also the torque spec is 14 lbs on the clamps.....very important as too much pressure will bind them up. :D

• markyjoe

Posted May 20, 2005 - 06:52 AM

I did this job on my 05 WR450 based on mountainman's advice and it was easy. Didn't remove the wheel or forks from the clamp either.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 20, 2005 - 07:16 AM

ditto,the jack works great when just changing springs. but be careful not to rip the last couple threads...

Hey, arent you supposed to be in the YZ forum now? :) :D

• ncmountainman

Posted May 20, 2005 - 02:27 PM

Hey, arent you supposed to be in the YZ forum now? :) :)

someone has to keep the redheaded stepchildren in line :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drive805

Posted May 20, 2005 - 11:28 PM

well my stand went missing so i had nothing to put the bike on.... i got a crate but its not big enough so i will ride this weekend then get a new stand and take care of it after i get back.... thanks for the info, i will try it with out removing the forks just removing the bars...i will be in dove springs about noon time first right after powerlines aprox.1/4 mile past cattle grade on righthand side dark-green chevy with WR friends trailer rage-n silver ford towing

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 21, 2005 - 12:14 AM

...be particularly careful with the fork cap bolts...if you get any shavings in your forks...look for problems to develop.... :)

• drive805

Posted July 11, 2005 - 10:15 PM

HELP....... the cap won't come off..... what did i miss?
the bike is on a stand i removed the bars checked to make sure that there is no air pressure then tried removing the caps and they won't come off they are loose but get to the top and "click" it doesn't come off

• Hamish

Posted July 12, 2005 - 01:06 AM

HELP....... the cap won't come off..... what did i miss?
the bike is on a stand i removed the bars checked to make sure that there is no air pressure then tried removing the caps and they won't come off they are loose but get to the top and "click" it doesn't come off

when you have both caps unscrewed until they 'click' simply lift up the front wheel and install a brick or something similar under the wheel to raise the forks slightly. Gravity is all that is stoping your cap from coming off.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 12, 2005 - 05:19 AM

then after you overcome gravity you must pull the spring down by hand and there is a hex shaft,then slip a wrench in on it and put another wrench on the top and the cap will unscrew from the rest of it :applause: i beleive they are 17mm and 19mm

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 12, 2005 - 05:45 AM

I find forks to be a three hand operation! :applause: It is a lot easier with a buddy helping! :eek:

• drive805

Posted July 12, 2005 - 10:12 PM

thanks for the info it was a snap.... used my crate to put the front wheel on up popped the springs bing, bang, boom,--- done....
was having a conversation today and was asked about setting the sag!? is it nessesary to do?? how would i go about setting the sag? do i need a special tool ?? thanks again for the information it was very helpfull!

• Hamish

Posted July 14, 2005 - 02:39 AM

thanks for the info it was a snap.... used my crate to put the front wheel on up popped the springs bing, bang, boom,--- done....
was having a conversation today and was asked about setting the sag!? is it nessesary to do?? how would i go about setting the sag? do i need a special tool ?? thanks again for the information it was very helpfull!

Tools required:
1 X tapemeasure
1 X bike stand/milk crate etc
1 X volunteer
Sag is done by adjusting the preload on the springs.
With the front wheel off the ground, measure from the axle centre to a set point on the forks, say the lower tripple tree. Now let the bike sit on it's wheels, and make the measurement again. The difference between the 2 measurements is called 'static sag'. Now, with you on your bike in your normal riding position (attack/sitting etc) have a friend make the measurement again. The difference between this measurment and the 1st measurement you made is your 'race sag' To be honest, I never worry with setting the sag on the front. I simply adjust everything till it feels right. Visit the suspension forum for more info.

• drive805

Posted July 14, 2005 - 11:41 PM

Hamish thanks i will get out the tape measure and go check out the suspension forum.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.