would an automotive machine shop work on my head

10 replies to this topic
  • honda500

Posted May 19, 2005 - 04:36 PM

one of the valve seats has about an inch section missing out of it. i need to have it replaced with a new seat, does anybody know if an automotive machine shop will do this.

• frankstr

Posted May 19, 2005 - 06:01 PM

A well equiped one should be able to handle it without a problem... :)
Too bad your not in my area, I'd take care of it here in my own shop...

• offday

Posted May 19, 2005 - 06:06 PM

As long as they have the proper tools for the job. A well equipped shop should be able to. BUT I would rather have some one who has done them on a regular basis working on my stuff. not somebody who just says "yeah we should be able to" Gets expensive if they break your head. but then again, if it's on them, they would have to replace it :)
But thats just me and my two cents

• BWB63

Posted May 19, 2005 - 06:23 PM

A side note:
The stock intake valves are hard faced. This is why they dish so bad. It would be a good idea to replace then and not have then reground. I went Stainless steel to fix this.

Replacing valve seats and doing a valve job is straight forward and any good mechanic will do the job right. Getting a good mechanic is the hard part, motorcycle or auto.

How did you lose the valve seat? Did it just brake? Must have done some damage on the way out?

• honda500

Posted May 20, 2005 - 02:40 AM

somehow the valves we bent at some time when my friend had it, he could never get it running. new valves but old seats. how much you think this would run. by the way, we have a motorcycle shop in town but they are nothing but crooks and have a big bad reputation about screwing things up and ripping people off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bootlegger2

Posted May 22, 2005 - 03:20 AM

Depending On The Price Of The Seat The Work Shouldnt Run More 40 -50 Bucks Plus The Cost Of The Seat Most Shops Should Be Able To Look One Up By Size

• honda500

Posted May 22, 2005 - 05:19 AM

really, a shop near me said around 100 bucks. i better go to another shop that i usually use on the stang and see what they would do for me. the seat is going to be a universal one, since i cannot find an oem from honda. they want 100 bucks for a timing chain. that is outragouse

• bootlegger2

Posted May 23, 2005 - 03:30 AM

New Honda Chain On Ebay For Like 20-30 Bucks Not Sure What You Have 500 Or 600
What Are You Working On Anyway

• jason_dempsey

Posted May 23, 2005 - 12:10 PM

call xrs only we valve seats

• honda500

Posted May 23, 2005 - 04:11 PM

call xrs only we valve seats

come again, what do you mean. this is an 83 xr500r with the RFVC head. it has to be a chain for an RFVC. and i will check that out.

• bootlegger2

Posted May 25, 2005 - 03:30 AM

valve seats shouldnt be that much between 3-8 bucks ,installations should be around 14 bucks and a valve job should be around 30-40 at the most
why thay want a 100 bucks i dont know you could get a 4 cyl. dohc valve job for that price sounds like they dont want to fool with it so the price it high

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.