XRL Shift Lever Notch Cause For Worry? Solution?

4 replies to this topic
  • dirtzilla

Posted May 19, 2005 - 09:39 AM

The shift lever on my '93 XRL has apparently lost it's integrity; I keep bending it out and it keeps going back in. I've got an MSR lever coming to replace it, but I'm worried about the notch that the old shifter has ground into my case (link to pic below) -- that in a good fall the shifter will punch through this weakness.

Do I have reason to worry, and if so, what can I do about it?

• XR Dude

Posted May 19, 2005 - 10:41 AM

Its been my luck that in a "good fall" that shifter or rock etc goes through that cover no matter how much of a notch you already have. Yours doesn't look that deep, although a little hard to tell. I wouldn't worry about it as there's lots more things that could go wrong, just make sure your new shifter doesn't continue the old ones course. My .02, good luck and happy riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1biglung

Posted May 19, 2005 - 01:47 PM

Looks like mine.

I would rather replace it when it leaks or breaks. With my luck it I would replace it and then have a nice get off and end up putting the original back on because it doesn't leak.

• roadcam

Posted May 19, 2005 - 06:18 PM

I wonder if it might be a good precaution to superglue a piece of sheetmetal over the "rub spot" ... ?? ...(I must have too much sheetmetal on my hands, I'm always stickin' it everywhere) ...

• truck6driver

Posted May 21, 2005 - 05:34 PM

Have you been in my garage taking pictures of my bike? :) Don't make me call the police. :D I think that it a common problem for the "L". I just keep bending it back out. If I shift too hard I bend the shifter. If the new lever works well post it with the pt# so we can get one that works.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.