XR600 rear spring change?

3 replies to this topic
  • pressurefreak

Posted May 19, 2005 - 04:37 AM

I'm replacing the springs in my 87 xr 600 this weekend with eibachs for my weight. The fronts are a no brainer, but I dont' know how far down to tear my rear suspension to change the shock spring. I had the suspension down last fall when I painted the frame and I greased the suspension so I dont need to do that yet this year. Any thoughts, tips, or tricks from some of you who have done this before? How lokng do you think it will take assuming everything comes apart fine? Thanks-Bob

• trailriderjoe

Posted May 20, 2005 - 02:44 AM

Bob,
Not sure on the Honda's. My WR is easiest to pull the rear subframe then pull both the shock bolts (upper and lower). Your bike doesn't have a removable subframe does it? Can't be too hard? Not sure if the rear tire has to go to get the shock up and out?

Somebody here ought to know...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1biglung

Posted May 20, 2005 - 07:21 AM

If it is the same as my 650L.
Remove Seat, Side covers, Airbox and rear tire.
Have bike on stand
Remove top shock mount bolt
Jack up the rear swing arm as high as possible (Makes it easier to get the bottom bolt).
Wiggle the shock out. I also found it easier to twist the top of the shock to clear the reservoir while fishing through the frame.

Hope it helps

• pressurefreak

Posted May 20, 2005 - 01:10 PM

If it is the same as my 650L.
Remove Seat, Side covers, Airbox and rear tire.
Have bike on stand
Remove top shock mount bolt
Jack up the rear swing arm as high as possible (Makes it easier to get the bottom bolt).
Wiggle the shock out. I also found it easier to twist the top of the shock to clear the reservoir while fishing through the frame.

Hope it helps

Thannks, I'm thinking along the same lines as what you did. Sounds like it should work thanks for the tip if it doesn't well I'll just have to take the suspension completely apart and grease it earlier than I had anticipated. Thanks for the input.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.