Lifter and Valve Questions

2 replies to this topic
  • VOODOOCHILD

Posted May 18, 2005 - 08:26 PM

I'm rebuilding a 98' YZ400F. I've reached the point that I'm assembling the
head and needing to put in shims and lifters. Now the head is off of a 00'
WR and there were no shims with it when bought. I also only have 3 lifters
from the old YZ head. So my questions are which lifters do I purchase(Yellow
or Blue?) and where should I start shim wise? I know what the valve specs are ,but what do they come with stock? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2005 - 07:57 AM

It will be simpler to get the shimming sorted out while the head is still off on the bench. If you have any shims at all, select one in the range of say, 160 or 170, and put it in place on a valve. Put the lifter in place and set the cam in it's saddle, gently tapping the ball bearing down into it's seat with a soft faced mallet. Check the clearance while holding the cam down with your fingers or lightly snug the bolts to 1 or 2 ft pounds. This will get you a ballpark idea of which shim to use. Obviously, it can't be precisely right, but you'll be surprised how close it will get you. Your final selection should be checked with the head torqued down to the engine, and the cam caps properly torqued.

Hot Cams offers a shim kit for about $80 that has, I believe 3 of each size. Could be worth it.

The intake and exhaust lifters are two different sizes on some of the YZF's, but I am not sure on the head you are using. You can look Here to figure out what you need.

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 19, 2005 - 08:21 PM

...thanks for the link Gray... :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.