to jet or not to jet...that is the question!

5 replies to this topic
  • pudadin

Posted May 18, 2005 - 10:23 AM

I just purchased a JD Jetting kit for my 05 wr450 mainly because I will be riding in the altitude this summer (4000-9000ft above sea level). Question...if I am not necessarily looking for more power and put a premium on a reliable machine vs. maximum preformace....should I even goof with new jets?

Thanks!
BTW-will be opening up air box and air new filter.

• beezer

Posted May 18, 2005 - 10:44 AM

The bike runs much better with the JD kit.

Get busy with the wrenches.

• Texas4play

Posted May 18, 2005 - 11:20 AM

The stock jetting for your altitude (165m / 45p) might actually work ok. Research consensus for your area and decide on what specs to run as baseline.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted May 18, 2005 - 03:15 PM

Have you looked at the Jetting Database yet? I'm at the same altitudes as you and I'm running a 170 Main, 48 Pilot, 100 Pilot Air Jet, 40 Leak, JD Red #4 and a Boyesen Quickshot. I've got my airbox totally opened up with a Barnum's Pro Airbox Kit and a full FMF system with a PowerBomb and Q2 muffler. The bike runs great, with more power than I can handle. I did just bump up the Main to the 170 because I felt the top end was starving a bit at WOT. I'm trying to convince my wife to give me a hall pass today so I can go test it out for an hour or so. I've been working on the best possible setup for my altitude and riding style and I'm damn close to perfect, about 95% I'd say...SC

• Johnny34

Posted May 18, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I just purchased a JD Jetting kit for my 05 wr450 mainly because I will be riding in the altitude this summer (4000-9000ft above sea level). Question...if I am not necessarily looking for more power and put a premium on a reliable machine vs. maximum preformace....should I even goof with new jets?

Thanks!
BTW-will be opening up air box and air new filter.

Depends... next question. :D I'm getting good at this advice stuff! :)

My '05 was WAY lean to begin with. After all the free mods I increased the main jet to 170 and the pilot jet to 48. I left the needle and clip position stock. I'm riding at an elevation range of 2000 to 3000 feet. At your altitude range however, the stock jetting may be ok.

Jetting makes all the difference in the world. My WR doesn't pop or bog down and has a awesome response throughout the throttle range. It is SOOOOO worth it.

• Bradness

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:43 PM

listen I'm going to purchase a jd jetting kit are the specs the same for a 04 yzf 450 as the wr450 referring to the jetting and needle spot???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.