exercise with a cast on?

10 replies to this topic
  • MGN

Posted May 18, 2005 - 08:03 AM

I sprained my wrist really bad two weeks ago and had a cast put on. My question is, do you think it is ok to go running with the cast on and get it all wet with sweet? The doctor said not to get it really wet or it would start to stink, and if i got it to wet it would have to be replaced. I am going crazy not able to do any exercises. Thanks

• DRZCatastrophe

Posted May 18, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Go WALKING. You won't sweat so much.

And believe me, you don't want to have a stinkin' cast.

So yeah, I think running with a cast on is a bad idea. Not to mention, your body is using quite a bit of energy to fix itself. Give your body a break! No really! :)

• E.Marquez

Posted May 18, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Walk,, and add some extra load,, in a back pack, of if you have a fishing vest.. use it and fill the pockets with heavy items. Walking burns as much energy as running,, just takes you longer to get there. Your cardo is not going to get much of a work out :) unless you can get your heart rate up and keep it at your target rate for at least 15!20 minutes or longer,, but then your back in the seating category :D

Get a fiberglass cast on if you need a second one later,, then you can go swimming.. Great cardo work out...even if you do not "swim"

I deal with injured folks all the time,, and there are tons of ways to maintain physical conditioning and even improve some components physical fitness. Just depends on what you are limited in doing, what your intent is, and what your abilities are.

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 27, 2005 - 06:21 PM

How much stink can you put up with? I say work out, stay in shape. Just plan on not having many friends until the cast comes off. :)

• stanky1

Posted May 28, 2005 - 08:46 AM

They only put casts on ladies with sprained wrists. Show some nads and cut the thing off. Sheesh!!!

• small_and_fast

Posted May 28, 2005 - 04:29 PM

They only put casts on ladies with sprained wrists. Show some nads and cut the thing off. Sheesh!!!

On Any Sunday, RELIVE IT! those guys were crazy, soaking casts off there broken legs to race, they had nads.

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 29, 2005 - 08:39 PM

I tell you whose got gnads. A friend of mine's son who races the same series as we do tore his ACL completely last year when he compound fractured his lower left leg. They said if they did the surgery to re-attach it he would be out of riding for 6 mos. The kid refused to let 'em do the surgery because he didn't want to lose any pts. in his series. He cut the cast off after 3 weeks. Put a brace on it and went riding. Well, he crashed again and re-broke the same leg. This time he had to wear it 12 weeks. And they said his MX career was over because the leg would never strengthen up enough to take the impacts. His parents got him a custom made brace made. His first race back was last night. He was running 4th when he and another rider collided over a table-top. The kid was knocked out for 6 mins. He got a concussion but he's gonna be back racing this weekend. :)

• DRZCatastrophe

Posted May 30, 2005 - 01:11 PM

Nads? That's just PLAIN STUPID.

He's gotta use that leg for the rest of his LIFE!!! He's going to be in a great deal of pain by the time he's 25.

• yz426onNOS

Posted May 30, 2005 - 02:37 PM

When I broke my naviculer (bone in wrist) I welded all summer long in a sumer class. Went rideing every weekend, worked out, changed oil, etc... The cast came off looking all black and nasty inside but only smelled when they took it off. It was on for almost a year. Workingout will actully help it heal faster. But your supposed to stay away from things that will jar it, like running. Supposedly that can prevent it from healing. Thats what the doc told me. But I say go for it!

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 31, 2005 - 12:21 AM

Nads? That's just PLAIN STUPID.

He's gotta use that leg for the rest of his LIFE!!! He's going to be in a great deal of pain by the time he's 25.

He's tough. He'll be alright. :)

• XRrider62

Posted June 02, 2005 - 08:57 PM

im ina a cast right now and goin ridin this weekend (just no jumping). i broke my gad dang scafoid/ navicular. NEVER BREAK IT. takes the longest to heal out of any bone in your body because of a not so good blood supply through it. luckily my cast comes off in a week but i had two friends that broke the same bone and one was out for 8 months the other for 10. i really shouldnt go ridin but hey you know how things are.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.