Looking for some advise on bikes

9 replies to this topic
  • Hobo_Joe

Posted May 17, 2005 - 10:27 AM

Hey there all.

I am looking at getting myself a YZ426. I have never owned my own bike but have riden quite a few off roaders. I was hoping that you guys could give me some of the pro's and con's.

IS there any thing major that I should be wary of if I found a seccond hand one?

It is either the YZ or one of the other bikes around the market place, the CRF or the RM's.

I have riden my brothers YZ426 and I do like it but will need to do something about the power (a little too much for me) so are there any mods that I could do to make it a bit less responsive untill I am more comfortable with what this bike offers?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

• Dano426

Posted May 17, 2005 - 11:00 AM

The 426 is a great bike, but we need more info... Where are you planning on riding?

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2005 - 12:40 PM

The 426 is an older model, built '00-'02, so there's no RM four-stroke to compare it to. They are noticeably heavier than the '02 CRF. The also handle noticeably better, and are more reliable. Come to think of it, they're more reliable than almost anything.

Try to ascertain who well the current owner has maintained it, particularly how often he changes oil and filters. When did he last check the valves? Has it ever had a top end job done?

If you really do want to take a little steam out of the bike, you can. The least expensive and most reversible ways would be to re-time the exhaust cam to WR specs, and to add a flywheel weight.

• YZLEE

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:02 PM

I bought a '01 426 last fall and here are my thoughts. Pros: It has a lot of power! I came off a older KTM 300 and the 426 blows it away, especially in soft conditions. The handling is perfect for a desert/hillclimb bike. It is also pretty reliable. Cons: Valve checks and adjustments are kind of tedious. And nearly every newbie has a hard time starting them (me included). Once you get the starting drill down they are a piece of cake to start.
Bottom line- get one!

• yz_for_me

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:49 PM

The YZ426 is a great and are about as reliable as you can get. If possible, try to get an '01 or '02. They have a better clutch and, if memory serves me, the '00 had a problem (although pretty rare) with the key falling out of the counterbalancer shaft. The '01 and '02 had a splined cb shaft, so they don't have this potential problem. Also I think most people found the carb setup on the '01 and '02 to be a little better as well. It seems like the '00 owners have more problems with the infamous "Yamabog" off the bottom. This is easily fixed for free with the BK/GB carb mod, so I wouldn't really consider it a huge issue.

As far as taming the beast, I would say grayracer hit it on the head. Look at a flywheel and changing the cam timing to WR specs. You may also consider gearing it a little taller.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cobra427

Posted May 17, 2005 - 03:08 PM

I think the yz426 is an awesome bike and pretty bulletproof as long as you keep the oil changed every 2-3 rides, change the oilfilter not as often but regularly, keep that airfilter clean and "oiled" and install a magnetic drainplug. The bike if taken care of properly will run well. As mentioned above, the valves do need to checked every six months to a year depending on how much you ride and how the bike was maintained by the previous owner is a big factor. As far as power goes....You must respect this bike period!!! It can be twitchy or it can be smooth as far as power is concerned. Your throttle hand dictates that. It is a race bike and it makes power fast, right off idle through all five gears this bike is a beast; however, like anything patience, respect, caution and seat time goes along way.

• pontala

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:05 PM

(“Yamabog" off the bottom. This is easily fixed for free with the BK/GB carb mod, so I wouldn't really consider it a huge issue”)

Can you tell me a little more about this? I just bought a 00 426 and I am not aware of this metaphor and what it means but it sound’s like I need to know right?
Thank you

• phat_450f

Posted May 18, 2005 - 01:58 AM

I had a 2000 yz426 and i loved it. I was sorry i sold it. Missed it so much went to buy another one but nothing was avaliable at the time in my area so thats when i picked up the 450.

• Hobo_Joe

Posted May 18, 2005 - 12:06 PM

The 426 is a great bike, but we need more info... Where are you planning on riding?

Hi all thanks for your response's and help on this.
Dano to answer your question I will be using it as a full offroader, enduro's and trail riding. It wont be turned into a road bike.

I will keep my eyes open from now for one of these beast's...

Thanks again.
CHris

• yz_for_me

Posted May 18, 2005 - 03:03 PM

(“Yamabog" off the bottom. This is easily fixed for free with the BK/GB carb mod, so I wouldn't really consider it a huge issue”)

Can you tell me a little more about this? I just bought a 00 426 and I am not aware of this metaphor and what it means but it sound’s like I need to know right?
Thank you

"Yamabog" refers to the poor throttle respones that frequently happens at low rpm when the throttle is whacked open. It is caused by the accelerator pump squirting too much fuel into the intake and causing the engine to bog. It is called Yamabog because the early Yamaha YZF's were notorious for it.

Do a search on "BK carb mod" or "GB carb mod" to read all about the cheap fix. You can also check out Motoman 393's web site for a complete "how to". Just look under "tech articles" and "BK Carb Mod".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.