Best aftermarket spokes?

6 replies to this topic
  • jj

Posted February 19, 2001 - 07:49 AM

Hey all , I hope everyone had as an incredible weekend riding as I did!

Anyway! I need new spokes for my rear rim! I've got a couple bent ones and of course a couple stripped ones.

The current plan is to lace and true the wheel my self. I've just got this issue with paying my dealership over a $100 to lace and true it.

I think we need to start a lacing and turing 101, what do ya think?

Grateful for suggestions...

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• bonez34

Posted February 19, 2001 - 09:41 PM

i've laced quite a few rims myself and saved a bunch of money. once you cut the old spokes off just put all the new ones in-you can kinda "just know" where they go due to the fact that the hub is drilled a certain way and the spokes almost line up themselves-with a little help.

then bring in the rim, start putting the spokes through and put on the nipples. the holes on the rim make it pretty easy to figure out which spokes go where. or you can cut out and put in new ones at the same time so you know where they go automatically. the last one is easiest.

then what i do is tighten all the spokes with a screwdriver until they wont turn anymore-not cause they are tight, but because the spoke coming through the nipple pushes it out of the groove-and then.....begin to tighten them-some choose to go every 3rd spoke, some do spoke dances-the easiest thing to do is lace them up and then take them to the dealer. you'll save some money by lacing them up and having the dealer true them. the dealer does a much better job at truing them than most novices can ever do! even the great bonez has always ended up with a little bit of crookedness. :)

------------------
DRZ400E: Where's the power on this thing?

• Boit

Posted February 19, 2001 - 10:10 PM

There are some excellent web sites about how to lace and/or true a spoked wheel. if you use "Webcrawler" as a search engine...type in search words such as "spokes", "lacing", "truing", "wheels"...etc. and you will find a list of sites. some are geared toward bicycles, but there are some motorcycle sites.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted February 20, 2001 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. Bonez, cut them off really? I guess it really doesn't matter does it...

I did find this site;
http://home.internet...info/lacing.htm

Anyone know what they mean by cross laced wheels?
What about brands off spokes?
Do nipples come with them?

Thanks again!

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• bonez34

Posted February 20, 2001 - 06:23 PM

jj, buchannon spokes are really thick, compared to stock, and they come with :blush:nipples :). they are usually no more than 50-60 bucks. they can be found most anywhere but i ordered mine from chaparral.

and yes i cut them off. by the time most bikes need spokes they are rusted and crusted so bad that trying to unscrew them is a total waste of time---that's when the grinder comes in to play!!!! bonez

• jj

Posted February 21, 2001 - 08:31 AM

Thanks Bonez, I talked to the White Brothers wheel guy today, he had some very interesting points of view. He recommended using OEM spokes with stock hubs... He also said that the OEM stuff was some of the strongest during their pull tests, they even beat the Bulldog spokes. I asked him about the spline drive nipples, "a waste". Bummer, I was kinda interested in the colored nipples... :)

I think Buchannan only makes one type of spoke and nipple, "stainless". Which width did you get? Any fitting probs?

Thanks again!

------------------

• bonez34

Posted February 22, 2001 - 02:07 PM

yeah, as a matter of fact, on my 93 yz125 i had to drill the spoke holes in the hub just a tiny bit to get the buchannon's to fit. they are that thick! compared to stock 93yz spokes there is a tremendous difference. then we changed the spokes in my friends 90 rm250 with buchannons and his fit perfectly. they were still bigger but they fit fine. i have never done a pull test with spokes-lack of machinery-money-lack of interest in spoke strength. i was going to get stockers but i couldn't find them as a package and the dealer sold them separetly-well thet added up to about $140.00!!!! for some freakin spokes!! if you go with the buchannons you will not be dissapointed. as far as width to get- i didn't know there was a choice. if you don't want to drill then i suggest stock size if it's available. and i think all spokes are stainless from them-i can't think of putting anything else in there.

------------------
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.