Honda XR500R (1984)

Owner: bigborethumpers
Added on Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Photo
* * * * - 13 votes

Show your PIG

Honda XR600R Honda XR650L Honda XR650R Honda XR500 Honda XR500R Honda XL600R

4166 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these bikes is your primary ride? (3689 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these bikes is your primary ride?

1. Voted XR650R (954 votes [26.05%])

Percentage of vote: 26.05%

2. Voted XR650L (1577 votes [43.06%])

Percentage of vote: 43.06%

3. Voted XR600R (784 votes [21.41%])

Percentage of vote: 21.41%

4. Voted XL600 (185 votes [5.05%])

Percentage of vote: 5.05%

5. Voted Other XL/XR (162 votes [4.42%])

Percentage of vote: 4.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • DougMX726

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Nice looking bike, same year as mine. Color looks good like it was garage kept. Looks like OEM tires.
First thing you want to do is de-smog it. You'll love the bike. Sooner or later it will be time to get a jet kit and a slip-on exhaust. (It will run cooler and better).
Doug, first thing to buy is a "service manual" (not the owners manual). AND maintain it.
Nice purchase, treat it well and you will be very happy!
Ride On!

Thanks EarthCruzn. I appreciate it.
The only things that the PO had done were the de-smog kit and removed the baffle. A mechanic did it for him back in '10 and he wasn't sure what was done jetting wise.
It was hardly ridden in the last 3-4 years but thankfully he fired it up nearly once a month and rode it around the block.
** Any recommendations on muffler choice? I see so many with FMF's in pictures of others bikes. I'd prefer a balance between performance gain and quietness. Most of my riding will be on-road and I don't want it screaming loud.
** Everyone seems to do the Dave's carb mod. I guess that's a given.
** Might clean up the brake light / tag mount area.
** Shaving pounds is not a huge deal to me. But I see many do the battery relocate trick, I assume with a lighter smaller battery. ?
** What about the add on oil coolers?

And you were correct - that front tire is original, the rear recently replaced, but I'm not digging it. So I may just get a new pair soon.

I'm a maintenance fanatic, so no worries there! I can't wait to start enjoying it. Plan on this one sticking around in the shop for a while!

Peace & wheelies!

• EarthCruzn

TT Silver Member

805 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 05:01 AM

Doug, This is what I have done, IMS smog block off (I left the oil seperator), Dunlop 908 "Rally Raid" tires, WPS tail light and tag bracket from Procycle, XR's only lowering link with spacer and today I expect to recieve an FMF Q4 with quieting insert, FMF power up jet kit (stage1) and a UNI air filter (I am leaving the snorkel on the air box, removal is a stage 2 mod, the UNI will provide enough air flow). The Q4 is the best for sound and maintenance IMO. DynoJet makes the FMF jet kit (they do for a lot of jet kit companies, they are just repackaged....read the fine print)

Ok.....heres where I get in trouble with the opinions that will come (jet kit) comes with a lighter sping for the slide (this does what Daves Mods does by drilling two holes in the slide) ie. throttle response, adjustable tapered needle (Daves Mods does this by adding a shim washer) the kit also comes with 2 main jets (jet size numbers are different from other companies so dont freak out on the size comparison) as for the pilot jet the kit will not come with one (this is the idle and low end circutry of the carb) Kit recommends 2 to 21/2 turns out on the fuel screw (go 2 1/2) this screw is where low/ idle can be controlled (if needed) I am at sea level and the stock pilot is preforming just fine. (remember opinions will come). IMO opinion I have used these kits before on my CRF 150R, 250X and 450R they are proven and tested and I have been happy with all of them I have yet had to readjust any of them (maybe I'm just lucky???) I am not against "Daves Mods" I think he did his homework and saved people money accomplishing what the jet kits do, but I am going a different (reversable if needed) route. AGAIN this is my opinion.

Battery mod? sounds like a good idea for weight and apperance, I am staying with the bigger battery (I never want to push start this PIG).

Oil Cooler? Maybe, I live in Florida and I am hoping the jetting will cool thing down just fine ( I do have they XR's only oil temperature dip stick).

Oh yeah I did order a headlight guard (procycle / moose racing) I broke one on the trail once (got roosted) headlight cost more than the guard and I think it looks pretty good as well.

I will post a pic when I have all the "stuff" installed, all these mods are simply my opinion, to me there are many ways to do them, this is just what has worked for me in the past.

Ride On!

• EarthCruzn

TT Silver Member

805 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 08:34 AM

HG%20018.jpg

HG%20019.jpg

Well It's done and runs very stong no problems at all !!!! Sound is good not to loud,,,, it does THUMP though.... Very happy with the results.

Headlight guard is very well made and attached with the three existing bolt holes.

By the way my stock jets were idle/pilot 50 (S) and 152 on the main. The new needle I put in is at the 3rd clip from the top (it's about 1/4" longer than the stock neeedle and it is tapered) Stayed with the stock pilot starts cold and hot no problem, went with a 165 main FMF jet......... set the stock fuel screw at 2 1/2 turns out (stock screw setting was 1 1/2 turns out), It really runs good in traffic it never went over 175^..... goin' down the highway it was hanging at 150^ . I got on it pretty good goin' thru the gears and hit 85+ then shifted in to 5th gear and it moved to 95 quick.... I am not really sure how fast it will go....YET :ride:  Check the plug and its brown/tan all the way to the bottom of the insulator, exhaust residue is brown as well. Definitly not lean anymore. I just need to see when the mileage is on the fuel vrs where it was stock, stock plug was a tan on the tip and getting less tan/white to the bottom. You know the drill with that.........

All in all I give the kit and pipe a big thumbs up! :thumbsup: (FMF Q4, UNI Filter and the FMF Power up Jet Kit worked!!)

Ride On!

Edited by EarthCruzn, May 08, 2015 - 01:22 PM.

• ThatguyTJ

TT Member

94 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 12:08 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1431374911.881609.jpg

• ThatguyTJ

TT Member

94 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 12:13 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1429772931.462787.jpg

What headlight are you running?! Is that off of a crf250l?

• pauladiver

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hi guys,

In the UK - just got myself a 1985 restoration project.....looking forward to some nights in the workshop.

Think this forum is gonna be a great resource!

Paul 

F4ACED9F-AFB2-47DD-9873-20278577D61C_zps

Edited by pauladiver, May 13, 2015 - 07:10 AM.

• B.Mauser, Fivefive1 and mr. claws like this
  • Like This

• egumpher

TT Newbie

13 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Here is my 07 XR650L:

IMG_20150515_143316460_zpsik9tcfc0.jpg

Rgds

Eric

• fawudd

TT Newbie

5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:56 AM

Bone stock....but not for long...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1431870946.412424.jpg

• libertyk9

TT Member

84 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Here is my 07 XR650L:

IMG_20150515_143316460_zpsik9tcfc0.jpg

Rgds

Eric

The only spot on the ground is right under the engine do you have a leak.

• egumpher

TT Newbie

13 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 01:45 PM

The only spot on the ground is right under the engine do you have a leak.

Thanks for noticing but that's a water spot from a car A/C that was parked there before the picture.......

Rgds

Eric

Edited by egumpher, May 17, 2015 - 01:46 PM.

• DougMX726

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 06:53 PM

Bone stock....but not for long...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1431870946.412424.jpg

Looks great! Super clean.

• fawudd

TT Newbie

5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 18, 2015 - 04:35 AM

HG%20018.jpg
HG%20019.jpg
Well It's done and runs very stong no problems at all !!!! Sound is good not to loud,,,, it does THUMP though.... Very happy with the results.
Headlight guard is very well made and attached with the three existing bolt holes.
By the way my stock jets were idle/pilot 50 (S) and 152 on the main. The new needle I put in is at the 3rd clip from the top (it's about 1/4" longer than the stock neeedle and it is tapered) Stayed with the stock pilot starts cold and hot no problem, went with a 165 main FMF jet......... set the stock fuel screw at 2 1/2 turns out (stock screw setting was 1 1/2 turns out), It really runs good in traffic it never went over 175^..... goin' down the highway it was hanging at 150^ . I got on it pretty good goin' thru the gears and hit 85+ then shifted in to 5th gear and it moved to 95 quick.... I am not really sure how fast it will go....YET :ride: Check the plug and its brown/tan all the way to the bottom of the insulator, exhaust residue is brown as well. Definitly not lean anymore. I just need to see when the mileage is on the fuel vrs where it was stock, stock plug was a tan on the tip and getting less tan/white to the bottom. You know the drill with that.........
All in all I give the kit and pipe a big thumbs up! :thumbsup: (FMF Q4, UNI Filter and the FMF Power up Jet Kit worked!!)
Ride On!

Excellent Machine ! That headlight guard is wicked ! Where can I find one ?

• EarthCruzn

TT Silver Member

805 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 05:04 AM

fawudd, thanks......... It's a "moose racing" product, I ordered it from procycle.com, they had the wps tail light, tag bracket, Ims smog block off kit and other stuff for the xr so I just included it in my order from them. It's sturdy and powdercoated and they provide the hardware. One trick I have found when installing it, simply take off the stock 2 bolts (sides of the headlight shroud) and the bottom 1 nut (where the horn mounts) as you stand in front of the bike rotate the guard to a 9 o'clock position (left) and place the bottom bracket under the shroud then rotate back to 12 o'clock (straight up while keeping the bottom bracket under the shroud) and bolt it on. That will save you time from removing the shroud. The instructions do not explain that senario they simply say, use new hardware if required and bolt on using existing mounting locations. It took 5 mins. to put on.

Nice looking bike you have there, look's well kept! Glad to see another Florida XR hit here on TT,

Ride On!

Edit...... Oh yeah the bottom nut is a tight area for the fingers and the wrench, get that nut started first then the top bolts started then tighten all evenly,  

Edited by EarthCruzn, May 18, 2015 - 05:10 AM.

• DougMX726

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 06:10 AM

fawudd, thanks......... It's a "moose racing" product, I ordered it from procycle.com, they had the wps tail light, tag bracket, Ims smog block off kit and other stuff for the xr so I just included it in my order from them.

Hey again! I think you meant procycle.us. I finally googled it, found it, and like what I see so far! Thanks a lot. I'd never seen this site before.

• Brother D

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 11:35 AM

These are my dirty girls. Just built the 05 XR650L over the winter. I've had it out on some local forest roads...dialing it in. Plan on running section 3 of the Oregon BDR with the XR over the Memorial Day Weekend.  20150517_114746_resized.jpg image.jpeg

• ThatguyTJ

TT Member

94 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 05:32 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1429772931.462787.jpg

What headlight do you have on there?!

• Francois Horn

TT Bronze Member

100 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:08 PM

What headlight do you have on there?!

Got the bike with the headlight on, looks like a crf headlight

• Francois Horn

TT Bronze Member

100 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Not sure how to post a pic with this phone, wil do one over the weekend

• ThatguyTJ

TT Member

94 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:20 AM

Not sure how to post a pic with this phone, wil do one over the weekend

Cool, I would like to see the front of it when you get a chance. Good looking bike man.

• Francois Horn

TT Bronze Member

100 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:29 AM

Looks a lot like your bikes, I'm changing the look now coz I'm getting it ready for a long trip, lr fuel tank, street legal ect planning a 8000km trip in 2 months

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1986 xl600r valve lash , confused! by legbags

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

What does the decompression lever actually do? by cdoc83

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

#%$^ backyard mechanics by Rx7man

• Hot  42 replies

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.