Front axle collar. Grooved or no grooves?

2 replies to this topic
  • 4mud

Posted May 17, 2005 - 04:06 AM

Need to replace front wheel bearings. I am going to get a machinist buddy to make me a new axle collar out of stainless steel. Are there any grooves in a new axle collar? My old one has a small groove 7mm from the end and a large groove 3mm from the end.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted May 17, 2005 - 12:36 PM

no grooves. those grooves you see are from sand and grit getting under the seal lip and wearing the alloy spacer. Even though it is anodised, it doesnt last for ever. I need to do the same on my rear axle, just as well the bearings are sealed units.

• AHRMA17L

Posted May 17, 2005 - 03:02 PM

The grooves are from wear. The aluminum is very soft and the seal will wear grooves in the spacer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.