Stator rewind

7 replies to this topic
  • RJC

Posted May 16, 2005 - 09:36 PM

Considering upgrading the stator on the XR650R 2001. Curious as to how many have done this upgrade and considered it worthwhile. And what headlight bulbs are you running? Any considerations for the increased output frying wiring?

• JackAttack

Posted May 16, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by qadsan:

You can significantly improve the lighting by purchasing the Honda glass lens from your Honda dealer (Honda PN# 33123-MK2-671) for as little as $22 depending on the discount your dealer gives you. This glass lens simply replaces your stock plastic light assembly and it accepts a H3 bulb. The connectors from the stock plastic headlight assembly are different, so you'll need to buy some new connectors to mate with the H3 bulb, but you can get these at Walmart, Autozone, etc. The only thing left to do is to buy a $5 H3 bulb at your favorite auto parts store or even at Walmart. The rubber boot on the back of your stock plastic lens will fit over the new glass lens with some coaxing, but it's a tighter fit. The stock stator will work fairly well with this setup and you'll be much happier with the improved lighting. At idle, the light will be a bit dim, but once you crack the throttle, the light will get to full brightness very soon. If you want full brightness at idle, then you'll either need to rewind your stator for more power or send it out to have it rewound or buy a higher output stator. Rewinding the stator is pretty easy to do if you like projects, have the time and are inclined to do so. Here's a link to more info in rewinding the stator if this interests you. http://www.xr650r.us/stator Ricky Stator sells a complete bolt in high output stator for $150 at the following link http://www.rickystat...R650stator.html

:)

• XR250rdr

Posted May 16, 2005 - 10:18 PM

I've dont it twice; its painful. I'd just drop the $150 and buy a complete one next time around.

• Winkel

Posted May 17, 2005 - 07:03 PM

I did mine myself, and would do it again. I only added four more posts, and tied them in in series. Just remember to alternate the direction you wind each post, check continuity, make sure you're not grounded, and epoxy it up good. I eventually bought the Baja Designs headlight, and am very happy with it. I ride mine on the road too, and it really seems to have increased the ability for other motorists to see me.

Winkel :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted May 17, 2005 - 07:56 PM

I have done two and it was easy but, it takes time to do it right. I have one that I did as a duel stator. Four stock posts for 80watts and Six posts done with number sixteen guage for 120watts for the light. I run two voltage regulators; one for DC for the GPS, blinkers and one for the 120 watt light. My light does not dim at all even at idle. It is an H2 cool blue 55/65 I may go to a 100/100. Perfection may be considered hard but, taking your time it is easy.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted May 17, 2005 - 08:51 PM

I had Baja Designs rewind my stator for $120.00 with a lifetime guarrantee for as long as I own it. Can't beat that. I have had no trouble with it. I have the glass lens intalled with a high output bulb. Grip heaters and after market Electric starter. Never any problems electricly. :)

• hill5150

Posted May 17, 2005 - 11:15 PM

Bought the ricky stator no probs so far it runs my high output dual 160.00 money well spent .......do it now............ :)

• XR250rdr

Posted May 18, 2005 - 12:25 AM

BWB I did the 20awg parallel setup on all 6 poles and I can run a 100W H3 with almost zero dimming. It only flickers slightly at idle.

I first installed a 100W bulb without a regulator and it blew the bulb in 10 seconds @ idle w/ choke.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.