Catching neutral on the way down???

12 replies to this topic
  • dirtr1der

Posted May 16, 2005 - 06:14 PM

I touched on this in another thread, but has anyone ever had a problem catching neutral on the way down from second? I only have about 1300 miles on my '02, but this weekend when I had to use 1st gear to go around a few trees across the trail, my bike kept hanging up in neutral. I was clutching and not forcing the gear too soon. Most of the time I was already going too slow for second, and just coasting up to the obstacle with the clutch held in. I have caught neutral a few times on the way up, but never on the way down.

This only happened sporadically, but it happened at least 3 times in about 27 miles. Am I starting to lose a gear, or could it be a clutch problem???

The bike ran and shifted perfect otherwise.

• banffboy

Posted May 16, 2005 - 09:44 PM

Change your oil

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 16, 2005 - 10:01 PM

Hey Banff, will old oil really do that? :) Does it look really black by then, or what. Thanks, Black n Blue.

• timvv51

Posted May 17, 2005 - 03:38 AM

My 03 can be a little notchy when you are to slow for second and trying to shift to first. I have to make a deliberate effort to clutch, shift, then hold the shift lever down as I release the clutch. It is only when you are way passed the downshift point for going from first to second. This is common to a lot of transmissions. And my oil is always clean.

• banffboy

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:26 AM

On my bike it's usually a sign to get the oil changed. I change my oil about every 15 hrs (3 rides). I notice the shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd back to 1st gets ugly when I need to change the oil. Nothing like grabbing neutral on nasty, twisted uphill when your banging a shift down from 2nd to 1st :) ( I run amsoil 0w-40)

• BIGMatt

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:47 AM

I've had this problem on my 04 also. It ALWAYS happens on a slow, tech, up hill in 2nd, then I shift to 1st to keep from stalling. Damn thing will only shift to neutral, then I have to fully stop, put feet down and start over. VERY FRUSTRATING.
The problem is just becuase the bike is going too slow and under a lot of load, and the gears wont engage. I change my oil every ride (150 miles) so it cannot be from bad oil. Keeping your foot down on the shifter while you let the clutch out will help, but I just gotta remember to down shift sooner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:52 AM

On my bike it's usually a sign to get the oil changed. I change my oil about every 15 hrs (3 rides). I notice the shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd back to 1st gets ugly when I need to change the oil. Nothing like grabbing neutral on nasty, twisted uphill when your banging a shift down from 2nd to 1st :) ( I run amsoil 0w-40)

Banff... You beat me to it.. :D For sure.. Using the correct oil and changing it often makes for a healthier transmission. I've noticed that the bike shifts and downshifts better with clean oil.. :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Keeping your foot down on the shifter while you let the clutch out will help, but I just gotta remember to down shift sooner.

Good point... I do the same thing...

• dirtr1der

Posted May 19, 2005 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I am glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

That was the first ride on clean oil, so I know that wasn't it, but I will keep my foot down on the shifter as I let the clutch out. That should do it.

• DesertWR

Posted May 20, 2005 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I am glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

That was the first ride on clean oil, so I know that wasn't it, but I will keep my foot down on the shifter as I let the clutch out. That should do it.

You guys use your clutch? :)

• DeltaT

Posted May 20, 2005 - 10:45 PM

I've had this problem on my 04 also. It ALWAYS happens on a slow, tech, up hill in 2nd, then I shift to 1st to keep from stalling. Damn thing will only shift to neutral, then I have to fully stop, put feet down and start over. VERY FRUSTRATING.
The problem is just becuase the bike is going too slow and under a lot of load, and the gears wont engage. I change my oil every ride (150 miles) so it cannot be from bad oil. Keeping your foot down on the shifter while you let the clutch out will help, but I just gotta remember to down shift sooner.

I have the same problem - maybe once every ride or two. I change the oil often, like every 200 miles - Mobil 1 redtop. I've tipped over a couple times cuz your body is ready for the power to come then.... NOTHING! I have started downshifting more without the clutch but haven't done it long enough to spot a difference in hitting neutral.

Jim

• necius

Posted May 24, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Look here

http://www.thumperfa...clutch_mods.htm

Saludos

• freestyle250

Posted May 25, 2005 - 01:11 AM

While it is true that the bike will do that when there is alot of load on the bike, but I have noticed that when I need to change the oil it does it putting around. Just dont make the same mistake my buddy did, he was lazy and didnt want to change the oil so he just kept slamming down on the shifter till it stripped the shifter and eventually his spindle too. So what did he do instead of getting a new spindle? JB welded the shifter on.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.