How do you guys wheelie your L?

16 replies to this topic
  • Xr650LMartin

Posted May 16, 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hi!
I'm startin to practice my wheelie skills on my L! I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on how you do it!
For now I lift the wheel in 1st gear and try to shift 2nd and keeping it up!

Thanks
Martin

• RingKingPin

Posted May 16, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Sell it, buy an R and do 3rd gear roll ons all day long! :D :) :)

Couldn't resist!

• justicedone

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:00 PM

I just roll on in 2nd and keep her going. I passed a cop coming the other way on 1 wheel yesterday....good thing for center dividers, lol

should have seen his face !

• Xr650LMartin

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:01 PM

King..
:) I knew this was gonna happen!! :D

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:47 PM

I rev up in gear (2 or 3) chop the throttle to load the front end, then whack it WFO.

D

• panaceabeachbum

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:53 PM

I snap the throttle open from aprox 5mph in first, pops right up everytime, just a balance issue from there

• XR-Det

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:58 PM

I just roll on in 2nd and keep her going. I passed a cop coming the other way on 1 wheel yesterday....good thing for center dividers, lol

should have seen his face !

Is it true that you get charged for reckless driving if they catch you?? And is that the same in all states??

• RingKingPin

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:59 PM

King..
:) I knew this was gonna happen!! :D

Hahaha you know I'm just playing. There are two types of wheelies, power wheelies and balancing wheelies. It sounds like you're just relying on having the power keep your front end up. Try it in first or second, whack the throttle at low RPM, load the front end then throttle open. When it feels like you're going to flip it over, you're about at the right balancing point. Just remember to keep you foot near the brake, that will bring the front end down right away! Practice practice practice!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Misfit

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:02 PM

Yes they will pull you over if they see you doing wheelies. I've never gotten caught but i've seen other people get caught. :)

• goblin127

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:42 PM

It might be easier to practice the balanced longer wheelie standing instead of siting until you get the hang of it.

• Desmo

Posted May 16, 2005 - 09:16 PM

First I lower the tire pressure on my full knobbies to about 5 psi, then I just jam it up to 5th gear, get the bike going about 90 or 120mph, lean way forward, with my head over the front wheel, the whack open the throttle about 1/4 the way open, and the sheer massive torque just takes over and catapults me right on up on one. When the rear wheel stops burning out, smoking, and making grooves in the asphalt, but before it has completely worn down to the bare rim, I drop the throttle back to just off idle and ride on one wheel down to the stop & rob for a 40 to celebrate.

such is the available torque from the mighty XR650r and my flawless natural riding skill.:)

truth be told, I'm too friggen scared I'll loop backwards to seriously try to wheelie, beyond getting over trail obstacles. One of my goals this season is to learn a few wheelie skills.

• tjnsr

Posted May 17, 2005 - 11:48 AM

[quote name='Desmo']First I lower the tire pressure on my full knobbies to about 5 psi, then I just jam it up to 5th gear, get the bike going about 90 or 120mph, lean way forward, with my head over the front wheel, the whack open the throttle about 1/4 the way open, and the sheer massive torque just takes over and catapults me right on up on one. When the rear wheel stops burning out, smoking, and making grooves in the asphalt, but before it has completely worn down to the bare rim, I drop the throttle back to just off idle and ride on one wheel down to the stop & rob for a 40 to celebrate.

At first I thought you were talking about my L. I had to go out to the garage to see if it was still there...LOL :)

• XR Dude

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Mine pulls up in 2nd pretty easy so start with low rpm, yank the bars and hit the gas at the same time, when the front comes up I bring it to the balancing point. From this point is where the practice comes in, finding your balancing point without going over backwards. I then drop the front end by easing off the throttle just a little to where the front end is just below the balancing point so that it takes a little more rpm all the time to ride the wheelie. (If I'm going to stay in the same gear I just ride the balancing point). Just as my rpm gets to the point of needing to shift I blip the throttle harder to pick up the front end to the balancing point or just past, then pull the clutch and shift quickly, hit the gas again to refind the balancing point and keep riding through that gear and so on. I can ride from 2nd through 4th but fifth doesn't have the power I need keep the front end up. Its really exhilirating to set your front end down after your front wheel quits turning and watch your speed whip up to 65. The bike also shudders a little. Happy riding and be safe.

• crwmac

Posted May 18, 2005 - 12:09 PM

In Texas, they write you for "unlawful exhibition of acceleration." :)

• XR-Det

Posted May 18, 2005 - 05:26 PM

In Texas, they write you for "unlawful exhibition of acceleration." :)

Thats a nice expression :D

Did anyone ever have to pay for it?? How much would I have to expect?? Just curious...

• Tber

Posted May 18, 2005 - 07:12 PM

I have an R, i just clutch it in fourth and hit that balance point at about 50 mph and just ride it

• Bruce J

Posted May 18, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Personally, I think that the gap in gear ratios between 1st & 2nd on the XR650L is so great that a beginner is asking to loop it out in time. I would strongly suggest that you practice in 2nd or 3rd. You have less torque to manage in those gears therefore minimizing the margin for error. I also reccomend that when first learning to lift the front you do so ONLY while riding UP hill on a surface that offers optimum traction. Spinning out only adds another variable to the equation. Balanced wheelies are the funnest but also require the most skill. I would reccomend that you stick to power wheelies until you feel real comfortable doing them. Hope this helps a little. On a good day I can pull it up in second & shift into third & then 4th. It always comes down quickly once I've reached forth, but I'm going over 55 MPH & the front wheel sound like a 747 when it hits the ground due to the fact that it stops revolving midway through 3rd gear.
Have Fun!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.