WR meets the 3 bears.

24 replies to this topic
  • DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted May 16, 2005 - 01:52 PM

I went for a scoot yesterday on a pretty secluded trail about 50 some miles round trip. It was a cool 53 degrees but a decent day to try my new Yosh TRC Carbon pipe (quiet and more power, it rocks! :D ) I was cruising along thoroughly enjoying myself and the bike. This trail is a blast.

I was about 3/4 way through the 23ish mile long trail coming to a good straight stretch. I gave her some gas and held on. All of the sudden out of the brush, three black furry butts are running down the trail ahead of me. It scared the sh!t out of me and the bear cubs. The bears even made the goofy nasally noise, as if to say in bear cub "Oh crap!"

One cub shot up the closest tree, the other darted back into the brush, and the other dumb one decided to run almost right along side of me. I was startled at first. (Anything jumping out of the woods, whether it's a woodpecker or bigfoot get's the old ticker moving.) Then I realized it was just three cubs. I calmed briefly, avoided hitting them, then got a little nervous for Momma. I couldn't see her anywhere, so after I cleared the cubs I decided to see how the new exhaust handled some higher RPMs. :) I didn't want to meet Momma and see if she approved of me scaring the daylights out of her babies.

It was kinda cool. It would've made some pretty funny helmet cam footage. I know I was nervous and jerking around trying to avoid the bears and I know I was swearing pretty good too.

The cubs were probably taller than knee height. Anyone wilderness savy know if cubs that big are even with mom anymore? :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 16, 2005 - 02:01 PM

Oh Yeah consider yourself lucky. Cubs like that hang around Mom for about 2 Years when they get big enough to be nearly full grown.
The bigger they get the more Mom leaves then behind to go eat on her own. Helemt cam footage would have been sweet if Mom would have shown up! :D

How does the Yosh feel as far as jetting changes needed? :)

• GixxerBitch

Posted May 16, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Man you're so lucky, all I ever see is sheep and the odd Fox if I'm lucky!.......

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Dude that is sweet. Good thinking on how to handle the situation. I love to see wildlife on rides too, but we try not to disturb them for too long. Good work. We see lots of elk on rides, and deer too. Other things we occasionally come across on our various adventures are: Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Bears, Coyotes, Fox, Antelope, snakes and the like. The one thing I know is around alot that I havent seen is a Mountain Lion. I am sure I will see one soon enough. I also havent seen a Grizzly in the wild yet and I think that would be really cool( my uncle saw one while riding last summer). Anyway, thanks for sharing the cool story, and triplets for a black bear, how about that. :)

• dirtr1der

Posted May 16, 2005 - 06:20 PM

That's awesome. I don't blame you, though. I would have scooted out of there pretty quick too.

My friend kicked a few big deer in front of me yesterday, but nothing that close.

• tree77

Posted May 16, 2005 - 08:27 PM

I know the feeling. Was out hiking off-trail one time and came up on a bear cub getting a drink of water out of a fast moving stream. I guess he could not hear me becasue of the water but by the way he started looking around I think he smelled me. I figured mama was close by so I went back the opposite way...fast!

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:05 AM

You saw three bear asses, thats funny!!!

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:06 AM

Not only did you see one bear ass, you saw three!!! When I go out looking for girls im lucky if I see one bare ass.

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:17 AM

...I don't mess with bears...I had a 300lb plus black bear run over me and knock me down one time...good thing you were on your bike... :)

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:25 AM

...I don't mess with bears...I had a 300lb plus black bear run over me and knock me down one time...good thing you were on your bike... :D

I almost thought you were talking about your wife there :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slowmotion426

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:28 AM

I almost thought you were talking about your wife there :)

heh heh...no silly...you know she weighs much more than that...and she can't run... :D

• RB2

Posted May 17, 2005 - 03:24 AM

Up here in BC I run into more bears in my backyard than I do riding. That small they are definitly still with momma. :) :D :)

• 4x4ducky

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:10 AM

i had a deer jump OVER me one time, her hoof hit my helmet on the way over.

made me slow down that day!

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:28 AM

...I don't mess with bears...I had a 300lb plus black bear run over me and knock me down one time...good thing you were on your bike... :)

WHAT! :) Where was that?.....and what where you doing? Looking for honey? :D

I really don't like bears too much. There are quite a few where I live. They are always wrecking our bird feeders, garbage cans, and anything else they think is food. They are getting more and more brave around people too. The Wisc. DNR has a two strikes program for problem bears where they tag the ear and transplant the bear several (usually 50+ I was told) miles away. Very often these same bears find their way back. They get tagged and removed one more time. If they come back again, they get "recycled."

To answer your question on the jetting Indy: I'm not sure it needs too much adjustment. I'm a pisspoor mechanic, but it seems to idle fine and it doesn't burp or pop when I decellerate. It actually seems to be better too when giving it heavy throttle, there isn't any hesitation or miss. Dumb luck?

The UP ride should be great. I can't wait for you to go over my bike and tell me what needs tweaking. :D

The deal with anyone I ride with is this:
I'll haul all the gas if you haul the bacon. :worthy:

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 17, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Cool! We will see you in Newberry, MI. We will be riding for 5 days Thursday thru Monday Memorial day weekend! Hope to see you on the weekend! :) :D

• drewpeacock

Posted May 17, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Cool! We will see you in Newberry, MI. We will be riding for 5 days Thursday thru Monday Memorial day weekend! Hope to see you on the weekend! :) :D

Are we all envited or is it only for the cool kids?

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted May 17, 2005 - 10:29 PM

Cool kids?..........I'm out. I fall somewhere between the dirtbags and the computer geeks. :)

• RCannon

Posted May 18, 2005 - 03:47 AM

We have an area west of town near the great salt lake. There are miles and miles of salt flats surrounding the lake.

Last year I was riding in the area. I climbed on to a raised area about 100 yards across. I jumped down in the center of a nudist gathering.

I would have been much better off seeing bears. Most nudists, you just dont want to see. I doubt there was one fo them under 65 years old.

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted May 18, 2005 - 07:01 AM

I would have ungarbed and wheelied through the party. All the old chicks would have loved you.

Hey...when in Rome.

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 18, 2005 - 04:57 PM

All TT members are welcome. Some of us are at the KOA, some in local cabins and the Best Western hotel. PM m for a cell phone number to contact me for a ride schedule. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.