street wheel conversion

8 replies to this topic
  • 702_smb86

Posted May 16, 2005 - 01:03 PM

im thinking of streeting out my 99 yz400, but i dont want to pay the premium price for new talon hubs and what not, being 18 and not made of money. is it possible to lace up the stock hubs to 17 inchers, they are the same # of spokes, just a different length from what i understand. can it be done?
and for about what price do you think? thank you -sean

• 02YZ426

Posted May 16, 2005 - 01:43 PM

I am running a set of 17in Excel rims that have stock hubs laced into them. Check my garage for some pics. I cant see it being any problem using your hubs, but I would check that the rims you buy are compatible first in case there are differences.

• 702_smb86

Posted May 16, 2005 - 02:28 PM

thanks for the pic, i love your bike, it was actually my wallpaper on my desktop for a while, i didnt know those were stock hubs. also, what size tires are you running, sprocket sizes? how does it do on the roads, freeway, twisties..... etc... thank you much. also, did you have to get custom spokes made?

• 02YZ426

Posted May 16, 2005 - 03:58 PM

120/70R17 Bridgestone on the front and 150/60/R17 Continental Contiforce SM on the rear. 13/42 sprockets. Top speed approx 140KM to rev limiter and cruises nicely at 90-100km/h. In town 3rd gear for 60km/h. Wheelies in every gear up to 4th. You can go higher or lower on gearing for more power or speed, but I find this ratio the best for intown and highway. The bike sticks to the corners like glue... I can actually wheelie it while turning if I want and handles the highway fine. I am sure that you can buy Excel rims and a spoke kit that will fit your stock hub. Hope this info helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Barbados-WR

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:41 PM

I'm interested also in conversion using stock hubs. Any part #'s for those excel rims and spokes used ?

KRiS

• Maximus86

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:43 PM

its not that much cheaper though

• 02YZ426

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:21 PM

Stock hubs are better anyway... they are usually lighter than most aftermarket ones.

• Maximus86

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:32 PM

doesn't it still cost like $700 even if you use stock hubs

• 02YZ426

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:37 PM

doesn't it still cost like $700 even if you use stock hubs

Im not sure....... I bought my wheels complete for $850 used, But mint cond. There is no real cheap way to build these rims new anyway and if you have to strip apart your stock rims for the hubs then it might not be worth your time. Compare the prices between stock hubs and aftermarket and then decide what you want to do.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.