XR650L vs the XR650R

13 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted May 16, 2005 - 12:02 PM

okay - need some clarification. I have heard the XR650L reffered to as the BRP (Big Red Pig) due to it's weight. Yet I also hear that in some threads in reference to what I think is the high zoot - alloff raod XR650R (water cooled).

These are two distinctly different bikes. The "R" version being obviously made for competetion etc, where as the XR "L" is a dual sport, that can of course be highly modified etc, but would never be an "R".

Why the aruguments on such two completely different bikes. To me you might as well drag in a CRF450R or X into the foray...

The XR650L is as Dave said - to me the best bike in the world for the type of riding I do. More power than I could ever use (even in the stock configuration) rock solid Honda bulletproof reliability based upon tried and true technology. Great suspension, brakes... I just love it! and I have been on Honda dualsports since thier inception.

• roadcam

Posted May 16, 2005 - 02:46 PM

look around at these posts , this is kinda being beat to death lately ... everybody likes THEIR bike best ... must be a clue as to why they bought that particular bike ... enjoy your ride ! .. :)

• justicedone

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:02 PM

I am 40 and my XR650L uncrapped suits me just fine. It all depends on if you like kicking, and trying to hit a big double or just like pushing a button and going anywhere in comfort I suppose...if its HONDA...its all GOOD

• XR-Det

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Its just fun picking on each other if it stays within limits... at least that was my impression of the recent threads here. Well some go over the limits and then it gets annoying...

I couldn't agree more with you about those two bikes being different but they share the same name and that for its pretty easy to get a discussion going on that subject over and over again.... I don't believe anyone would be serious about comparing those two.

Honestly in my opinion the "R" is the performance version of the "L". Oops, did I say that?? I would never admit that :D

I think we all share the same enthusiasm about our bikes and basically do the same sport. I don't care what you ride!!

Ride Red!!! :)

• XR-Det

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:43 PM

I am 40 and my XR650L uncrapped suits me just fine. It all depends on if you like kicking, and trying to hit a big double or just like pushing a button and going anywhere in comfort I suppose...if its HONDA...its all GOOD

Hey I have to object, my XRL seat is anything else than comfortable!! If that was the intention of Honda when they put that thing on the XRL then they've totaly failed :D

But I do like the lil button :)

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Its not the R vs the L, its what do you want to do today? :)

D

PS BRP was coined for the XR600R, so what's closer to that, the L or the R? Who can say? Its big, Its Red, Its a Pig, what more can you say?
I use BRP-L myself.

• Misfit

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:11 PM

To me it dosnt matter what you ride as long as you dont act like a complete idiot when you ride. Just get out and have fun :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RingKingPin

Posted May 16, 2005 - 06:37 PM

Its not the R vs the L, its what do you want to do today? :D

D

PS BRP was coined for the XR600R, so what's closer to that, the L or the R? Who can say? Its big, Its Red, Its a Pig, what more can you say?
I use BRP-L myself.

Dave, I'm pretty positive that the 650r was coined the BRP, not the xr600. I know the six hundred is a honda (ride red, etc.) but weren't they white? :) I've been a big bore fan for a long time and never heard the term BRP until after I bought one in '01.

• jws

Posted May 16, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Dave, I'm pretty positive that the 650r was coined the BRP, not the xr600. I know the six hundred is a honda (ride red, etc.) but weren't they white? :) I've been a big bore fan for a long time and never heard the term BRP until after I bought one in '01.

nobody ever called my 95 XR 600 a BRP :) it was white :D

• XR-Det

Posted May 16, 2005 - 06:55 PM

I think RingKing is right:

http://www.bikepics.com/honda/xr600/

oops, edit:
Maybe Dave meant the older ones?? or is that something else??
http://www.bikepics....600/85/pics.asp

• ponq

Posted May 16, 2005 - 07:40 PM

I use BRP-L myself.

I like that, I like it alot!

• XR-Det

Posted May 16, 2005 - 07:47 PM

I like that, I like it alot!

hehehe, now you stamped his signature :)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted May 16, 2005 - 09:12 PM

Same here. My 87 XR600 would not have qualified as a BRP cause it was white.

• HondaXR650L

Posted May 17, 2005 - 03:35 PM

Look I've ridden both of them and they are both great bikes in their own right. But, the R is better off road and the L is a lot more fun on the freeways passing big trucks. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.