Enduro riding

5 replies to this topic
  • daverehm

Posted February 18, 2001 - 05:45 PM

I have a 2000 yz426 and want to ride some enduros and hare scrambles. I bought a light setup, spark arrestor, 52 tooth rear sprocket, 12oz flywheel weight and pro tapers. I still can't get it street legal and the enduros require a tag. Does anyone know how strict they are at the ride? I have an expired tag from a friend. Will that do? The enduros are in S.C. and Ga. This is my first time riding enduro so I don't have a clue if they enforce these rules. The trails are all on private property but there are some roads you have to ride on between the trails. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
David

• kmcbride

Posted February 19, 2001 - 07:34 AM

Dave,
You should talk to a local rider in your district. The degree of scrutiny will vary from event to event depending on permit type and local law / park enforcement. Closed course events are generally leaner in degree of scrutiny. Enduros that use roads to connect trails are generally stricter. If you are on the roads you are subject to local law enforcement. I have ridden in an event where a state trooper was pulling guys over a soon as they exited a woods section and writing inspection tickets. Do not try to make up time on roads by exceeding speed limits!!!! Any well organized enduro will have resets or easy trail sections for you to get back on time before you get hammered again trying to go 30mph. through tight woods. I race a YZ400 in enduros and my riding buddy rides a CR500. We both have "tags" (updated stickers) on our bikes with proof of insurance. We have lights (no lighting coils) and SA's. I can turn my lights on with removable battery pack if needed. We have never been turned away from a race. There is one enduro I used to ride in Maryland that required mirrors. The club sold them at the event. They were non-functional 2 in. diameter jobs, but they were mirrors. Get the idea. BTW, my tag also fits very well on my street legal XL 600!! The holes line up and everything. E-mail me and I can give you more detail.
Keith

Forgot one thing. Get hand protectors(not plastic but bark busters..) They are a must for enduros. Disc guards and skid plate could also save some $$.

[This message has been edited by kmcbride (edited 02-19-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 19, 2001 - 09:33 AM

I raced a enduro in Ok City, OK last year that when you got to a road crossing there was a highway patrolman sitting there. Everyone was required to dismount and push their bike across the road and then continue the race. That was the only way to get around riding across the road. Weird eh?

Whatever you gotta do though to keep riding!

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AZJeff_99WR400

Posted February 19, 2001 - 01:05 PM

Hey Dave.

I am a member of the Arizona Trail Riders. My club promotes the Desert Mountain Enduro series. This year's event was February 11th.

Here in AZ, you don't need plates to compete in Enduros, but then again, none of our courses cross major roadways. You DO need a spark arrestor and your bike cannot exceed 102 db at 20 inches though...

For more information, go to http://www.arizonatrailriders.com or visit the Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit at http://www.racermec.org/index.htm

Also, this month's AMA magazine has all the official rules for Enduros. Some good reading.

-Jeff

• JamesD

Posted February 20, 2001 - 06:52 AM

Originally posted by daverehm:
I still can't get it street legal and the enduros require a tag. Does anyone know how strict they are at the ride? I have an expired tag from a friend. Will that do? The enduros are in S.C. and Ga. This is my first time riding enduro so I don't have a clue if they enforce these rules. The trails are all on private property but there are some roads you have to ride on between the trails. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
David

There are several Enduro's I've seen that say it's required but the rule isn't enforced by the promoters. As long as you stay on the side of the road the cops don't hastle you. If you have to cross, you'll probably have to dismount and push. I wouldn't count on cops being that curtious in those areas and an expired tag from another bike is worse than none at all if they notice and you get fined.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 22, 2001 - 09:33 AM

Check with your secretary of state. They should have a form with a list of requirements that the bike must meet to be street legal. In Michigan you need tail/brake light, headlight with high/low switch, license plate illuminator, horn, mirror, and DOT approved tires. This is all easily done with a battery, some wires, a few switches, bicycle horn, and a stick on mirror. The tires are what will cost you the most but I barrowed a set of dual sport tires from a friend. After you get it all together any police officer can inspect it. Then you simply use the form to change the title from ORV to a highway vehicle.
The requirements vary from state to state but I spent a total of about an hour and a half making the changes to my WR (including tire changes) and a grand total of $15.36 in parts.
I would post a request to buy someone's headlight assembly and rear fender assembly here on the WR page. It seems like most guys are changing over to the YZ rear fender and numberplate so they may want to give them up at a reasonable price.
This will help in your conversion in that the taillight is already wired up to accept the brake light and the bulb is already a dual element. Same thing with the headlight. Just wire in the battery and the high low switch and for the most part you will be in business.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.