Auto Decomp Mod 426 Missing at higher RPM's

5 replies to this topic
  • redright

Posted May 16, 2005 - 10:05 AM

I did the mod bike, rode fine at first. Now I'm having a problem with it missing at higher RPM's. I have tried jetting this thing all over the map. Seems to get worse the richer I jet it but is still there when I go leaner. Any suggestions? Could it be just coincidental and something else could be causing it?

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2005 - 10:33 AM

It is almost certainly not related directly to the use of the '03 cam, but experience has taught me that the first place to look is at the things I messed with when something I did results in an unexpected problem.

If it's an irregular miss, I would look at the ignition system, checking for loosened connections or damaged wires around the cam cover, or the coil wire and plug boot. Check the plug itself.

If it's a regular miss, you might double check your cam timing. The 450 cam sets up differently than the stock 426 cam because the marks were intended to be used with a different cylinder head casting. Time the intake as per the manual, then position the exhaust so that there are 14 pins between the 12:00 marks on the two cam sprockets. Here's a photo of the setup done right courtesy of Satch922:
http://homepage.mac....64B995211D7.jpg

If you had the carb apart, look to what you worked on there.

• redright

Posted May 16, 2005 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Gray, I have double checked the cam timing it is at 14 pins. I have done the coil on plug mod as well (could this be it?), guess I'll try a new coil. I did put in a new plug. I have never fully cleaned the carb, only pulled the bottom off. I'll clean it tonight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2005 - 03:21 PM

If you did the coil mod between now and the last time it ran right, you might look into the possibilty of reversed coil polarity. I don't know if it matters in this case, but it does in some. And, of course if it was a used coil, there's a chance it failed or was bad when you got it.

• redright

Posted May 16, 2005 - 08:49 PM

Coil polarity is good, I replaced with a new coil (havn't riden it yet). I have the carb apart now (to clean it) but ran into a problem with the gaskets when I took off the section where the float is. The gasket appears to be glued in and when I took it off it came loose, won't lay back down. Is there glue for this?

• coulterk

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:03 PM

I had a similar problem as i was going up jump faces it was spluttering. I had adjusted float level the day before so I thought that I had it to high, readjusted after first race but still had same problem in second race. Next I thought it might be the plug, but it was fine then I noticed that the orange wire going to the coil was sitting between the 2 top coils of the rear spring so every time the suspension was loaded it crushed the wire and shorted out the ignition. I cabled tied the wire back out of the way and problem was solved.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.