13 replies to this topic
  • Meatballs

Posted May 15, 2005 - 05:52 PM

Well after a year of reading your post i have decied to join, and you have talked me into a 650R. These seem like the type of bike you can play in the yard with the kids or tear it up with the guys, with all the reliabilty and durabilty that all envy. I'm in Michigan and these bikes are very rare. I have found a 2000 and though these bikes are mostly unchanged is there anything I should look for in one this old. If anyone knows where I could find a nice clean one please let me know.

Thank you

• Bubie450

Posted May 15, 2005 - 05:56 PM

Make sure it has a motor and trans...

• Max Power

Posted May 15, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Well after a year of reading your post i have decied to join, and you have talked me into a 650R. These seem like the type of bike you can play in the yard with the kids or tear it up with the guys, with all the reliabilty and durabilty that all envy. I'm in Michigan and these bikes are very rare. I have found a 2000 and though these bikes are mostly unchanged is there anything I should look for in one this old. If anyone knows where I could find a nice clean one please let me know.

Thank you

The double oughts go for a premium because of the cool seat. :)

Posted Image

• Meatballs

Posted May 15, 2005 - 06:52 PM

I'll have to remember that one while im shopping....... :)

• BWB63

Posted May 15, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Half way through 2001 they upgraded the countershaft seal and the clutch bushing. Both are easy to change and low price. 2002 some came with one side of the case being thicker to help make the engine more quiet. Now none of this means anything because I have a 2003 that had both the old countershaft seal and the old clutch bushing. Both have been changed out. Honda did not put any grease in the streering stem or the suspension linkage so that should be done on any bike you get. There is a light film of grease but, not enough for real wet riding. Make sure it is fully uncorcked.

Real good link for all that should be looked at, Click Here: :)

It's a good link because you can click on what you want to know about and it will take you to a page about it.

This is Eric's Pig Pen, Click Here: :D

If you want to know more about Horsepower, modifications, suspension and such..

All about the XR650R, Click Here: :)

• Meatballs

Posted May 15, 2005 - 07:48 PM

BWB63, Thanks man, got some reading to do.......so would anyone recomend searching for an 03 or should I jump on the 00 for $2700, it is prety clean and uncorked..........like I said, these things are hard to find in Michigan. Thanks agian

• frankstr

Posted May 16, 2005 - 07:58 AM

Wecome to TT, Meatballs; Glad to here your joining the ranks of owning a XR650R, 2700 don't sound like a bad deal... :D
Have you looked at the classified section of TT, Seems like there was a couple of R's for sale there.......... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted May 16, 2005 - 08:30 AM

not a bad deal at all 2700$.
and did you see that guy respond who rides the 450???
what is he doing here?? shouldnt he be at home in his garage doing his 10 hour service interval????
He did make a good point though-
with people like that out there make sure you go through your bike when you get it.
Check bolts(RH foot peg and kickstart every ride!!!)
grease-head set, linkage etc. as Honda does't(actually the monkeys at the dealer, nor do most ignorami dirtbikeramas)
flush fluids if any suspicions, change oil and filter straight out.
check your sprockets!!! brakes, you 'll need em!!

ride the thing to hell and back and love it
Mike

• Meatballs

Posted May 16, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Thanks guys, well I am going to go and get her and bring her home. :D I think before I ripp it up I will do some checking and greasing first. From the reading i have of done uni sounds like the filter of choice but what about oil?????? I am a fan of mobil one but what are you guys running now that the red cap has dissapeared?? Thanks agian guys and happy to be joining the ranks of 650 :)

• frankstr

Posted May 16, 2005 - 10:49 AM

Check back with a ride report, Hope you don't get to many facial cramps from all the grinning you'll be doing..You'll love it...Great choice.... :) :D

• Meatballs

Posted May 16, 2005 - 11:22 AM

Well a ride report will have to wait, that one has been sold. :D, so the search continues, but when I do find one you'll be the first to know. :)

• miguelitro

Posted May 16, 2005 - 01:02 PM

gotta jumpon em to get to jump on em if you know what i mean...

• Rokatt88

Posted May 16, 2005 - 02:11 PM

but what about oil?????? I am a fan of mobil one but what are you guys running now that the red cap has dissapeared?? Thanks agian guys and happy to be joining the ranks of 650 :)

As you may have noticed, the topic of oil can be as bad as religion or politics. :D If you want good bang for the buck you can use Shell Rotella-T 15/40, $7.03 a gallon or Shell Rotella-T Syn 5/40, $12.49 a gallon at Wal-Mart. I'm currently running them in all of my bikes and best of all (so you can sleep at night) it's Qadsan Approved! :D

Welcome to the asylum! :)

• Meatballs

Posted May 16, 2005 - 09:33 PM

Yeah I no what you mean, the next one wont get away.

Thanks for the info on the oil, I'll check it out, espeacially if its quadson approved.........he is spoken of pretty highly in these parts..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.