how do you fix a fouled plug? S.O.S. thanks

9 replies to this topic
  • joecallan

Posted February 18, 2001 - 03:55 PM

My buddy has 2 fouled plug from his CR125 89 and we want to go riding BADdly!

I heard you can hold the plug upside down and flame the electrode with a lighter?

not sure..?

thanks for any input!(:

• MN_Kevin

Posted February 18, 2001 - 04:02 PM

My experience with my 250 Honda: Once the plug was fouled, everything I tried failed to produce a spark. You may want to check some back issues, but a projected tip plug was what I had to use to stop cold head fouling. Instead of replacing the plug constantly, lower the needle (raise the clip)one step and/or go one step leaner on the main jet.

'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• joecallan

Posted February 18, 2001 - 04:41 PM

thanks,....anyone else? any ideas...
I'm going to move the needle clip down 2 spaces to make it run more lean..

• stevo

Posted February 18, 2001 - 04:50 PM

Whem I foul plugs I just use a beadblaster.It is similar to a sandblaster. Man machine shops have these and it brings the plug back to life. This is much cheaper than buying a new plug.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 18, 2001 - 06:27 PM

Since we were kids all we'd do is scrape off the carbon with a pocket knife and whallah! I've never had to "replace" a plug to finish a ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joecallan

Posted February 18, 2001 - 06:31 PM

Right ON, a buddy of mine has a glass bead blaster... I'll try that!

thanks for the InFo, fellow riders!
..going riding monday, I'm damn excited.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 19, 2001 - 05:52 AM

I clean the electrode with koncentrated sulfur acid an it works fine.

• JamesD

Posted February 19, 2001 - 09:10 PM

I've always scraped off the carbon with a pocket knife. In a bind you *might* be able to use vigegar or fruit juice (citric acid) to help clean it but expect to let it sit for a while.

• ButtonFly

Posted February 19, 2001 - 11:24 PM

One more trick that I have used on Briggs engines and weed wackers (My crotch rocket and WR are too expensive for this) is to heat the plug up with a blowtorch SLOWLY, and then let it cool down. DOn't get the plug red hot or anything, just warm it up well, and let it cool slowly.

Posted February 20, 2001 - 02:11 AM

When my friend fouled a plug on his XR600 all it took was dipping it in gas. He had kicked for 20 minutes after I told him to dip it. So I pulled the plug he dipped it and 2 kicks later it was running.

[This message has been edited by HUSAFREEK (edited 02-20-2001).]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.