how hard is it to change tires?

24 replies to this topic
  • KeithBoyd

Posted May 17, 2005 - 10:47 AM

Hey Sagester00

If you`re like me and don`t have extra rims for road and trail use then changing tyres becomes very very easy :) ......all with two 8inch tyre levers(in bumbag{fanny} in Europe means a girls `private parts`) and (optional)liquid detergent...I can do it in my sleep in no time.....I wish I`d never learnt!!! :) especially when it comes to heavy duty tubes and a brand new Dunlop !!!

Don`t be the same as me.....get help now before its too late....there`s always someone out there to help....you don`t have to go through this all by yourself...

PS Why are my knuckles bigger than everyone elses?
PS Wrestled my road tyre on the other day complete with heavy duty tube...only to find I`d put it on the wrong `direction of travel` so had to do it all over again.....watch out for that one...oh such fun...joy unbounded :D

• miguelitro

Posted May 17, 2005 - 10:56 AM

Practice and it becomes real easy. Plus once you get the hang of it and start carrying irons and a tube on the trail its seems like you never get another flat!!!(except baja...)

When removing tire from rim pull off tire so that the rim is in the middle and turn it and pull it out, i saw Malcolm S do this and when i tried it it really worked!!!
Armor all also works for lubing you r bead

See i said Lubing bu tnever mentioned tool....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR-Det

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Now what is it with this tooool thing?? I must have missed that thread :)

Lube and tool and you don't get the tire off with it?? Am I heading in the right direction???

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted May 17, 2005 - 07:33 PM

Now what is it with this tooool thing?? I must have missed that thread :)

Lube and tool and you don't get the tire off with it?? Am I heading in the right direction???

It was me... making fun of the word or saying "tool". Like as in Beavis and Butthead. More or less a 'gay' joke about saying 'tool'. It's my dorkyness showing full tilt.... :D :D ...and a lame joke. :)

• Kev_XR

Posted May 17, 2005 - 07:49 PM

This subject has been discussed many times in the General Topic forum.

The first few times will take a long time and you'll hate life.
After a few tires and having someone show you how to do it, it's easier.

Heavy Duty Tubes and heavy duty tires are a real bear.
Try a HD tube with a Kenda 760 Trackmaster II.

The top guys can change a tire in 5 minutes, so when it takes you an hour, it's technique.

Tips for beginners.
o 3 good tire irons. don't even think of using a screw driver.
o Warm tires mount easier. Leave it out on a warm driveway, or on a towel in a car.
o Some lube really helps beads go on rims easer!!! Use some soapy water.
o There is an indent in the center of the rim. The bead drops into that center well, giving slack to pry off the bead on the other side. Otherwise, you're fighting a steel reinforced rubber band. You will loose.
o Dirt makes the process a mess. After the old tire is off, I wash the wheel.

See the other tips in the General section.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.