How much fork oil 01 426?

9 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted May 15, 2005 - 12:27 PM

I found in the manual how many mm from the top to set the fork oil, but it doesnt tell you how many litres you need to do the job :) Can anyone let me know, just so I know how many bottles I need, thanks

• lumpy790

Posted May 15, 2005 - 01:02 PM

For modern suspension that is how you do it. You will need to buy 2 Quart size bottles.

• bushy

Posted May 15, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Can someone help me out with my forks? Every time I put oil in them they will only hold a small ammount...

• lumpy790

Posted May 15, 2005 - 02:24 PM

Are you pumping the oil threw the cartridge?

• bushy

Posted May 15, 2005 - 02:59 PM

I do exactly how the manual says how to do it...

Fill er up
pump the rod many times
fill er up again
pump the fork tube up and down

so &%$#@!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 15, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Can someone help me out with my forks? Every time I put oil in them they will only hold a small ammount...

Define small amount......Is it a 2oz or 4oz or 18oz??

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2005 - 05:16 PM

A '98-'03 should hold right around a pint in each fork leg IF they are pumped fairly dry before they're refilled. An '04 holds slightly more. A lot of pumping and tipping and fooling around is required to accomplish that.

On refilling, I do it just a bit differently than the manual procedure in that I pump oil through the outer tube before I do the damper rod. I fill it all the way to the top, then work through the entire stroke once or twice, refill if it's below the first row of oiling holes in the outer tube, and work the outer tube through the prescribed 8" of stroke about ten more times. Then, I'll add a little oil and pump the damper rod until all the air is out. You can tell, the rod will resist you evenly all the way to the top instead of hitting an "easy spot' at the end.

Doing it this way addresses the concern about getting enough oil between the upper and lower outer tubes without having to dump as much out to get the oil level right after you bleed the damper cartridge.

• Hamish

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:26 AM

thanks guys. I removed the dampner rods so I could clean all the dirty oil out of the bottom of the tubes,valves etc, so the forks will be completely dry. I'll put them back together in the next few days so I'll see how it goes.
For some strange reason, I'm much happier building an engine than I am playing with suspension :)

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2005 - 08:24 AM

For some strange reason, I'm much happier building an engine than I am playing with suspension :)

Less voodoo involved. :D

• lumpy790

Posted May 16, 2005 - 01:47 PM

I just re-assembled my 02 426 forks and at 100mm it used just under a whole 1000cc bottle of Golden Spectro. It was an already opened bottle so I might have filled it to the top from the remaining oil from another job. Get 2 bottles to be on the safe side.

To bleed......I like to screw the cap on w/o the spring, screwing the cap on when fully extended then using the trapped air to re-extend compress several times till you feel no cavitation.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.