airbox screen material

6 replies to this topic
  • RJC

Posted May 15, 2005 - 09:52 AM

I've decided to make my own side panel airbox modification for the XR650R. I can cut out and machine the aluminum frame OK but I need a resource for the screen material. My local hardware stores only have window screen material and the auto supply places have nothing. Where is a good place to get this stuff? Seems like a stainless steel mesh would be the best. Suggestions from the pros here appreciated.

• char700

Posted May 15, 2005 - 03:00 PM

i have some stainless steel screen mesh. very fine !! not a pro though i just picked up my 650l a month ago. let me know if youre intrested.

• RJC

Posted May 15, 2005 - 07:50 PM

i have some stainless steel screen mesh. very fine !! not a pro though i just picked up my 650l a month ago. let me know if youre intrested.

Thanks Char700, I'm polling to get a consensus on what # mesh would be best to use. I'll keep you posted. Definitely interested.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted May 16, 2005 - 04:41 AM

I used 1/4" mesh hardware cloth. It is actually metal screen material and works great. I've run it on my bike since I bought it on SWept. 2003 and it's holding up great.

• char700

Posted May 19, 2005 - 06:08 PM

i took a pic of what i have its very fine mesh as you can see i can barely get the tip of a tooth pic through it.

http://i6.photobucke...00/MVC-001F.jpg

• RJC

Posted May 19, 2005 - 07:47 PM

i took a pic of what i have its very fine mesh as you can see i can barely get the tip of a tooth pic through it.

http://i6.photobucke...00/MVC-001F.jpg

PM'ed ya.

• 1stepcloser

Posted May 20, 2005 - 07:50 AM

Try McMaster-Carr they have all types of stainless sreens.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.