wr vs yz

8 replies to this topic
  • item

Posted May 15, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Am currently considering buying a wr400 or 450, however a mate has got a yz400 for sale in excellent condition. I only ride trails and am wonderin if the yz would do the job or should i stick with the wr. The only reason i'm considering it is because it is in good condition and a good price. Would i be better of going the wr given the the type of riding i do? Any advice would be appreciated.

• RCannon

Posted May 15, 2005 - 05:12 AM

I have spent the whole week working on my sons 99 wr 400. This was a bike we picked up that had previously scared its owner so much, he parked it after 1/2 tank of gas had run through it. This owner still had the throttle stop on the bike!

Oddly enough, most of my time was spent un-wr'ing the bike.

If your buying used, find a bike that is in good condition. WR or YZ. It does not matter much.

I like the wide ratio transmission on the wr. I like the lack of work the yz needs to be ready to go.

• slotracer577

Posted May 15, 2005 - 05:26 AM

Am currently considering buying a wr400 or 450, however a mate has got a yz400 for sale in excellent condition. I only ride trails and am wonderin if the yz would do the job or should i stick with the wr. The only reason i'm considering it is because it is in good condition and a good price. Would i be better of going the wr given the the type of riding i do? Any advice would be appreciated.

On the pre 450 YZ's they are closer to a WR than the 450's. 400 or 426, WR has a wide ratio 5 speed, YZ close ratio. The WR's had a wider tank, so some people replaced it with the YZ seat/tank. Air boxes are the same. the only real difference was the lighting coil and heavier flywheel on the WR. Also to change from WR to YZ timing is just retiming the cams.

On the 450's the YZ has a 4 speed vs a 5 speed for the WR. Also the WR's have e-start. Air boxes are different, seat/tank is different, WR has more flywheel and lighter springs. to change cam timing you have to buy a new cam.

Having owed both a 00 426 and an 03 WR, I like the WR better. It is heaver, but the plusher suspension, wide ratio tranny, and e-start make up for it. But I did retime my WR to YZ cam timing since I like the YZ timing better. If you can get a good deal on a clean YZ 400, get it and add a flywheel weight. It will be pretty much the same as the same vintage WR.

John

• westrider03

Posted May 15, 2005 - 09:33 AM

If it were me item, I would definitely go with the WR for the trails. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteveWR450F

Posted May 16, 2005 - 03:28 PM

Both bikes are great but I am thinking NCMountain Man might be onto something by switching to a YZ for trails. Lighter weight. If the YZ is in good shape, I would get it and add a rekluse clutch and heavier flywheel. Hard to go wrong with either bike though,

• ncmountainman

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:30 AM

i just got done installing the rekluse in the 05 yz yesterday and man its great,with 13/52 gearing 1st is right about where 1st was on my wr with stock gearing(14/50) the CR tranny is great in the tight woods i ride. top speed suffers a little but its still in the 60+ range without bangin' off the rev limiter. i'm gonna measure it on the road after break in to see what it really is. i'm also ordering a stock 04 wr needle,and a +8 flywheel for it for better response down low. boyesen ap cover should be here this week. the forks did not feel right to me(for tight woods) so i sold them and put my 03 works forks on. their new shock is awesome,way more control.putting the maxxis SI's on this week also. this things gonna be a woods weapon :D but i wouldn't reccomend this setup for fast riding;desert,fire roads etc. its 12 lbs lighter(soon to be 15 with my renton coil spring) than the lightest i could make my wr. its way faster,and its gonna be a whole lot more competitive in a HS :)

• cali450

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:05 PM

I have a 03 YZ and an 05 WR, My heart is with my WR. I had some fond memories of dropping my bike on a trail and watching my buddy ride off while I played the kicking game with that bike. I also foldly remember the time I leaned my bike against a pole at hart park and my bike fell and ripped a hole in my seat (first ride). There was that one time when the clutch on my 04 660 Raptor went out at the desert and I waited in the camp with the women and children while all the fellas took off on their night ride. Last but not least there was this hill me and DesertWR took on in Kettleman City where I think just mabee I coulda used one more gear. The moral of these stories 1. Electric Start 2. Kick Stand 3. Head Light 4. 5th Gear --- P.S. I'm only askin $4500.00 for a slightly used YZ450F.

• "ReNeGaDe ReYnOLDs"

Posted May 17, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Buy Bushys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dirtmizer

Posted May 17, 2005 - 04:33 PM

I agree with Cali450, those four reasons are it for me, if you should ever decide to set your bike up for the road the WR has the advantage, although I'm sure there are plenty of resources for setting up the YZ, probably cost a few more bucks. Its good to be legal. I can go virtualy anywhere I want without a hassle. Good Luck, they are both good machines.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.