1983 xr 500

6 replies to this topic
  • zzrich

Posted May 14, 2005 - 09:31 PM

Hey guys. I am looking at an ' 83 xr 500 for $400 o.b.o The add reads that the bike runs strong but has lost second gear. What do you guys think is broken, and or out of adjustment ? The add did mention something about it having a new barnet clutch kit. Thanks for any advice here.

• XR250rdr

Posted May 15, 2005 - 12:58 AM

Sounds like a hassle. There is no adjustment in the tranny. If the bike lost 2nd it means a complete teardown is needed.

• frankstr

Posted May 15, 2005 - 04:41 AM

If you really want the bike, talk him down more....... :D
Something is broke inside the trans and the case will need to be split..
Definetly a job for someone mechanicly skilled....... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted May 15, 2005 - 06:25 AM

If you buy it and need parts, i have two '83 500's right now. One is in pieces, but... it isn't an XR. Though i do seem to remember the engines are the same :)

PM me if interested. The one 500 is already in pieces and most likely will never run again.

and those bikes run hard if taken care of properly.

• zzrich

Posted May 15, 2005 - 08:22 AM

Good insight guys. I am mechanicly inclined and have torn down bike and car motors, but I dont know if I am ready for another project right now. :)

• rippinroche

Posted May 15, 2005 - 05:19 PM

Replacing transmission parts like gears shift drums shift forks main shaft counter shaft can get very expensive plus all gaskets to put it back together. MMM i would pass it up and look for something in better condition. Good luck!!

• zzrich

Posted May 20, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Well guys, I went with an '82 xl 500R. Picked it up for $675. But it runs great and shifts through all its gears. Real nice shape with 5800 miles on the odometer. (and brand new tires and new front rim) Really a clean bike. Suspension is very tight. Cant wait to hit the trails !

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.