Swapping

21 replies to this topic
  • Chips23

Posted May 14, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Alright you XR650 gurus.. Can you swap the seat and tank from a 650R to a 650L? I love the looks of the 650R. Or instead of swapping do any of you know if the 650R is street legal in California? :)

• rmhrc630

Posted May 14, 2005 - 09:54 PM

You're kidding right?

• Chips23

Posted May 15, 2005 - 05:10 AM

Actually no I wasn't kididing. I'm just now getting into dirt/motard bikes and I'm trying to get a feel for which ones are the best for what I want. I was seriously looking at getting an XR650 so I could double duty it, but if this is the kind of replies I get, I don't know if this is too helpful. I apologize if my ignorance offended. :D Guess it's time to look at Yamaha. :)

• XR-Det

Posted May 15, 2005 - 06:29 AM

If you want the easy way get a "L" because its already street leagal, just it lacks a little power.

I've ridden CBR600's for over 10 years and the "L" I bought last year seems kinda lame to what I was used to, but I wouldn't expect that much more from an "R" either. (Ok, that will stir up those "R" guys again, wasn't meant to)

For my purpose the "L" does it. Anyway, you won't be able to find the bike that does it all perfect... you should decide first what's most important for you.

Your question about swapping tank and seat doesn't work because those are two complete different frames, plus the "R" is water cooled. I don't know how that would look like if you put the shrouds on and no radiator. And never ask a "R" guy if you could put any of their bikes parts on a "L", they are kind of picky with that and take it personal :D :)

The "R" should be able to get street legal in California. I think there are many guys around here who have done it, if you search around here you sure will find that information.

• SMOKE

Posted May 15, 2005 - 09:27 AM

If you want the easy way get a "L" because its already street leagal, just it lacks a little power.

I've ridden CBR600's for over 10 years and the "L" I bought last year seems kinda lame to what I was used to, but I wouldn't expect that much more from an "R" either. (Ok, that will stir up those "R" guys again, wasn't meant to)

yea i drove my lambo for 2 years then i bought my dodge truck last year kinda lame to what i was used to but i wouldnt want to compare two completly differet things. street bike to a wanna be street bike. :)

chips, i am positive that they wont swap, if you look in all the catalogs they have different part numbers, and also they might hold the same name xr650 but are completly two different bikes.

ride on

mike

• thumpasaurus

Posted May 15, 2005 - 10:10 AM

Chips, perfectly acceptable questions. Just somewhat beat to death, especially CA red/green sticker thing. Seat and side panels will not swap between the 650R/L.

In CA a couple years ago, the greenie-weenie law makers fixed it so that you can't get a 650R, or any real dirt bike, titled for street use.. before that you could and if you can find one titled before the date, it's still valid. I live in Va so I don't know the specifics, but it was/is a big deal out there.

• hill5150

Posted May 15, 2005 - 10:59 AM

Streeting the R is doable, just go to AZ................I did it it's awesome...........

• ar50racer

Posted May 15, 2005 - 11:56 AM

If you buy one out of state and bring it back to CA. be sure it has 7500 miles on it or CA won't register it.The Governator SUX's :)

• Chips23

Posted May 15, 2005 - 12:36 PM

Thanks gentlemen. All my questions have been answered. I knew there were cool people on this board. :)

• XR-Det

Posted May 15, 2005 - 01:24 PM

yea i drove my lambo for 2 years then i bought my dodge truck last year kinda lame to what i was used to ...

ride on
mike

Hey Mike, I was referring to his signature and street bikes and comment that he is just looking into it. That for my comment about the comparison. I think everyone can figure that they don't compare to top speed but I would have thought that accelerating would have been somehow equal to a certain speed...

Nice you having dreams but I don't believe you could ever afford something like what you mentioned other than your Dodge truck... I like those guys like you who pick more on others spelling and blabla and cut everything down... oh, u ride a "R". Sorry my fault... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SMOKE

Posted May 15, 2005 - 02:28 PM

Yep i ride a "R" and i love my "R" and dont worry bro some day...maybe...hopefully, ill have that lambo and ill come pick you up and take you to get a beer or 3 just as long as you pay for them...insurance is a killer these days. OH, u ride a "L" sorry should of know you couldnt take a JOKE!

• frankstr

Posted May 15, 2005 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, Go to local Honda dealer trade that L in for a XR650R and dual sport it.. :D
That will be the best swap you could do and you'll be glad you did.... :)

• jws

Posted May 15, 2005 - 03:47 PM

do any of you know if the 650R is street legal in California? :)

mine is........................

but its hard to get it done now :D

• XR-Det

Posted May 15, 2005 - 06:37 PM

Yep i ride a "R" and i love my "R" and dont worry bro some day...maybe...hopefully, ill have that lambo and ill come pick you up and take you to get a beer or 3 just as long as you pay for them...insurance is a killer these days. OH, u ride a "L" sorry should of know you couldnt take a JOKE!

LOL, OK deal - if I get to ride in your Lamborghini I'll pay for the beer or 3... :) even though I don't get your jokes

• XR-Det

Posted May 15, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, Go to local Honda dealer trade that L in for a XR650R and dual sport it.. :worthy:
That will be the best swap you could do and you'll be glad you did.... :)

Who me? If so, I already got an oil burning "R" and I love the smell :) :D

If you meant Chips23, I thought he had neither one of those yet :D

Det

• Dualndan

Posted May 18, 2005 - 09:44 PM

A company called aloop used to make a conversion for what your asking.
http://www.aloop.com/
I dont know if the xr600 kit will fit the "L" or not. Hope this helps.

• XR-Det

Posted May 19, 2005 - 02:32 PM

A company called aloop used to make a conversion for what your asking.
http://www.aloop.com/
I dont know if the xr600 kit will fit the "L" or not. Hope this helps.

Wow, that looks really cool... :) great link even though I'll keep my IMS tank on my XRL that look almost got me thinking

• BWB63

Posted May 19, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Who me? If so, I already got an oil burning "R" and I love the smell :D :worthy:

If you meant Chips23, I thought he had neither one of those yet :)

Det

Wait is that an XR600 oil burning "R"? or an XR650"R"? It took me some time but............I smell a fast one there. :) :D :D Because noone would have a XR650R an only claim to have a XR650L :D That was funny :D

• XR-Det

Posted May 19, 2005 - 04:55 PM

Wait is that an XR600 oil burning "R"? or an XR650"R"? It took me some time but............I smell a fast one there. :D :) :worthy: Because noone would have a XR650R an only claim to have a XR650L :D That was funny :D

LOL, I have only a XRL - the oil burning "R" I was referring to is my CR250"R" and that one really burns oil on intention :D

How could you miss it, its in my signature and garage... I only said "R" not XR :D thats why I'm happy with my XRL and for the other stuff I take my CR. Maybe I trade it for a CRF some time but not this year...

...but I'm staying red :) the only other thing I would consider would be a KTM

• Chips23

Posted May 19, 2005 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the link. That is a kewl kit. Making me think now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.