Reusable oil filters?

4 replies to this topic
  • MLN

Posted February 18, 2001 - 07:43 AM

Just wondering what type of oil filter everyone is using. I'm looking at getting a reusable stainless steel one from Scotts but am not sure if its worth the money.

I did a search and it seems people are just using the OEM paper filters.

Also, I assume the filters are the same between the YZ and the WR.

Any help appreciated.
Mark

• Bill

Posted February 18, 2001 - 07:48 AM

My OEM unit is a brass screen. I bought an extra and when I change the oil. I put the cleaned one in and clean the other at my convenience. I also make sure there are no tears in the screen, always blow from the inside out.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 19, 2001 - 02:21 AM

Mine's a brass screen as well. I bought a couple extras when I picked up the bike, and chucked the original after a couple oil changes. From what I've read, they should be good for up to 10 changes - as long as there are no tears in the screen, and the seal is not indented to the point of possible leakage. Didn't know that anyone was making paper filters..?

• AZJeff_99WR400

Posted February 20, 2001 - 07:09 AM

I just bought a Scotts stainless steel reusable oil filter. Yes, they are expensive at $69, but they filter down to 35 microns "absolute" which is 3 times better than the stock brass filter (90 to 95 microns).

Note also that I am in the midst of major valvetrain repair right now (aprox. $500)because of a stupid little spring breaking. See the discussion topic titled "What happens when your compression release return spring breaks".

I figure after blowing all the money for the rebuild (new piston rings too), I might as well try and keep as much of the clutch material and other particles from recirculating in my engine.

I did my initial break-in on Yamalube petroleum base oil like you're supposed to. Then I switched to Amsoil synthetic (10w40w). Now I have to go back to Yamalube once again to get the rings to seat. Eventually I'll be back with Amsoil again - if everything holds together that is. It will be interesting to see how much material ends up in the oil filter this time around.

Cleanliness is next to roostiness. Peace of mind ain't half bad either...

-Jeff

------------------
Phoenix, Arizona - home of the Arizona Trail Riders and the Desert Mountain Enduro Series. Visit ATR at [URL=http://www.arizonatrailriders.org].

1999 WR400, YZ timing, no airbox lid, throttle stop trimmed, FMF oversized headpipe, Power Core IV-SA exhaust, Race Tech suspension, IMS YZ desert tank/seat combo, FMF 909 bars and grips, *Aluminum Bark Busters, *UFO hand guards, *Moose skidplate, *Scotts rear disc guard, *Acerbis front disc guard (*all items a must in AZ!), Water-Wetter in radiator, Scotts steering damper is next...

• JBM

Posted February 20, 2001 - 01:39 PM

You can reuse the stock filters as long they don't tear. I'm still using the one that came in my bike, '00 426. I keep an extra one on hand just in case.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.