Any of you have dimensions of your aftermarket exhuasts?

4 replies to this topic
  • Supplicate

Posted May 13, 2005 - 07:21 PM

A coworker of mine and I were talking about aftermarket exhuasts today at work, when the subject was moved to fabbing up our own custom headers and mufflers etc. Started looking around and we have enough thin wall pipe laying around we can't use anymore to fab up some headers, and was wondering if any of you could provide me with dimensions?

Looking for I.D. and O.D.'s of the pipes, bend radiuses, distances, etc.

I'm planning on playing around seeing what does what with different bends etc, but hoping to start from a proven design first and go custom from there.

edit: needed to add for the 650R.

• Kritter

Posted May 13, 2005 - 07:39 PM

You have a mandrel bender ...right?

Copy the stock one and make it a little bit larger(.125") ID tubing and try to make both pipes = length....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted May 13, 2005 - 08:03 PM

i don't own a mandrel bender, but have easy access to one. Was just wondering if any of the aftermarkets were different since FMF and Procircuit like to say their headers produce more power then stock.

• jpdickenson4259

Posted March 08, 2010 - 01:46 AM

its not really the fact they they produce more power then stock. aftermarket exhausts aid in the process of producing more power. they move the exhuast out of the combustion chamber faster and more efficiently allowing for more power to be created. we all know power is produced from the combustion of the air and fuel mixture. when you open the exhuast it simply allows for you to squeez more air/fuel mixture into the cylinder to be combusted and remove it from the cylinder fast and more efficiently then the smaller stock exhaust.

remember your exhaust is only as big as its smallest section. if you have a 3in header and a 2in mid pipe, its only gonna flow as efficient as the 2in midpipe will let it. the whoel fmf bomb theory is new to me. im not to sure on how that system works. i been working on helicopters lately not motorcycles to much anymore so excuse me for my lack of knowledge on my behalf.

• jpdickenson4259

Posted March 08, 2010 - 01:54 AM

just out of curiousity what kind of power are you trying to get out of your bike? bottom, middle, or top end? what is the main use of this bike, track, trail, dessert... this could all make a difference when trying to choose an after market exhaust, in ur case, make one!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.