Home made skid plate for my 650L

7 replies to this topic
  • zackm58941

Posted May 13, 2005 - 02:48 PM

I got bored yesterday and ended up taking a trip to home depot to get some steel for my new skid plate. Took about 3 hours total from start to bolting it on. Its based off of the BD or Utah skid plate, not as good lookin' but $20 on steel is cheaper than spending $65 on someone elses. There is some splatter due to my 120 volt lincoln electric MIG is gasless, the fluxed wire is only so good... Just figured I let everyone know, it was way more fun than typing in our credit card #'s :) .

Zack

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• allan68

Posted May 13, 2005 - 03:23 PM

Good job!!
I guess if you used aluminum, you would need a special welder?

• zackm58941

Posted May 13, 2005 - 04:17 PM

Thanks! Yes, you need to heli-arc or TIG weld aluminum cause a MIG would just burn right through it. I cant wait to get my hands on one of those, haha.

• roadcam

Posted May 13, 2005 - 05:32 PM

you did a damned fine job of fabricating that skidplate ... I respect people that make the effort to build their stuff ... beats bling !!, eh? ... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlpskydive

Posted May 13, 2005 - 05:38 PM

Wanna make another one??

• frankstr

Posted May 13, 2005 - 06:05 PM

Nice job.. :D Makes you feel great when you can fab your own parts... :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 13, 2005 - 07:31 PM

Custom. One question, how much did it cost to use the Utah skid plate as a template? :D

Keep after it and who knows, maybe you'll have your own line of aftermarket accessories some day. :)

• zackm58941

Posted May 13, 2005 - 09:11 PM

Thanks everyone! Truth be told, all I used to make it was a picture from their website and one on someone's 650L and went from there. I just spray painted it the same color, well close enough as the frame and put 2 coats of clear on, I know its gonna get chewed up but at least it wont rust till then :)

Zack

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.