wr400f is the fly wheel in a oil bath?

3 replies to this topic
  • SOW1

Posted May 13, 2005 - 09:09 AM

when I removed the plugs on the flywheel cover to set at TDC oil comes out, is this normal?
thanks in advance

• kirkw

Posted May 13, 2005 - 10:14 AM

did not happen when I did the same...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SOW1

Posted May 13, 2005 - 10:53 AM

just got off the phone with the local Yamaha shop and the service manager says it does indeed run in a oil bath.

• trailriderjoe

Posted May 13, 2005 - 12:12 PM

No...it is not an oil bather (also known as a wet sump). All our F motors are "dry sump" bikes that have a two stage oil pump. One half scavenges oil at a very high volume (and low pressure) and sends it up to the frame. The other stage of the pump takes the oil from the frame and sends it back thru the motor (high pressure & low volume).

Do a search for "YZF oiling system" I did an extensive write-up on the oiling systems about a year ago.

With that said, when the bike sets for a few hours / days (especially while on the side stand. Oil bleeds back down out of the frame into the engine. Hence why when you check it, it runs out the hole.

By the way, if you have a factory service manual, in one of the early pages it gives a real nice set of cutaway drawings showing the oil routing thru the engine. Stare at it for a while and you'll see the two systems.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.