Thoughts on gearing down for off road riding

25 replies to this topic
  • Math

Posted May 19, 2005 - 08:11 AM

I ride the wood trails here at 16-48 because I like to ride 16-44 on the pavement. The street rim is equiped with a 44 and the trail rim one got the biggest rear sprocket I could fit without having to swap the chain or front sprocket. 16-48 is not that bad considering that 1)I have to keep with my buddy's XR650R 2) trails are not that tight here that you have to paddle your way 3) there is some technical stuff to crawl but this WR engine has way enough momentum to keep going.

I'd prefer to ride a 15 up front for trails though but I don't think the 14 would give me enough top speed.

As for throttle control, hamish is right : you're suppoosed to be able to keep your rear wheel from spinning but it remains much easier when you're geared up. Try a 16 front on an hill climb in low second gear and you'll be able to gun the throttle almost as much as you want without loosing traction.

I was stunned to read some ride 12s :)

• bkej

Posted May 19, 2005 - 09:38 PM

I ride lots of trails as well as playing on the motocross track. At first I was a little worried that switching the front to a 13 might make for too many gear changes, but I was pleasantly suprised. I think that it is the perfect gearing unless you are out in the desert. It makes tight trails/hills effortless. (05 WR 450)

• Kirk_Ingram

Posted May 20, 2005 - 08:13 PM

when using rear 52 did anyone slot the bolt holes on rear chain guide to lower guide?

My gearing is 13/58. I had to fab a new bracket to compensate for the chain drop. It fits between the original swing arm mounts and the chain guide.

I ride mostly very tight/make your own trail type stuff, and there was no way I could ride less than 8MPH with the stock gearing. I'm now down to about 4MPH. -K

EDIT: Forgot to add; road trips at 65-70MPH are tolerable (barely), but it does turn some RPM's at speed!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted May 20, 2005 - 10:58 PM

I ride the wood trails here at 16-48 .

16-48 would be useless here in BC. unless it was on the motard track :) :D

you're supposed to be able to keep your rear wheel from spinning but it remains much easier when you're geared up.

Or you just shift up one gear higher....... if you had bush gearing :worthy: :D

:) :D

• RCannon

Posted May 21, 2005 - 04:03 AM

It is fun to play with gearing on these high torque bikes. One tooth smaller on the countershaft is quite a drastic change. Sometimes it ends up feeling like all you accomplished was move the gears closer together. You mgiht try changing one or two teeth on the rear sproket. Obviously, this is easier said than done due to cost issues.

Rocky Mountain is closing out their Titax sprokets for 19.99 each. This makes rear sproket changes fairly cheap.

• Math

Posted May 24, 2005 - 10:02 AM

16-48 would be useless here in BC. unless it was on the motard track :) :D

Or you just shift up one gear higher....... if you had bush gearing :worthy: :D

:) :D

Then I suppose the trails never really opens up in BC. The point is that here, we ride tight trails until the trail open suddenly on what Cal. guys would call a fire road. When it occurs, 14-50 is not enough. I would say 15-50 would start to be about right. 16-48 is comfy for the engine in these cases. Those 650r have sooooo much top speed!

Later,

Math

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.