Struggle to reattach throttle cables

5 replies to this topic
  • JeffWR

Posted May 12, 2005 - 12:46 PM

Is there an easier way to reattach the throttle cables after the carb is put back in? I struggled last time to get them back on the pulley. I put a lot of stress into the cables to get them back on the carb pulley wheel. Do I need to slacken the cable adjustment? Am I missing something?
Thanks for the help/tips, Jeff

• clark4131

Posted May 12, 2005 - 12:52 PM

Whenever I do mine, I put the upper cable w/ the 14mm nut on first, but I make sure I turn the throttle so it extends the cable way out of the housing. That makes its a snap to put back in. When I do the lower cable I turn the handlebars to full lock with gives me about an inch more to work with. I have a pair of small, long needle-nose pliers that work great for re-seating the little barrel on the end of the cable back in to the pulley. I've done it so many times now, that it's become almost automatic...SC

• sharpmarble

Posted May 12, 2005 - 01:01 PM

I leave them on the carb, and take them off at the bars.... easier IMO :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 12, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Jeff, I always take the cables off the throttle tube, that way it's slackends the cables enough to thread them on the wheel. I use the opportunity to clean and lube the throttle assembly..(and make things a snap) It takes an extra 2 minutes to do this, well worth it to me.

Dan :)

• JeffWR

Posted May 12, 2005 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys for the tips.

Interesting about taking it off at the bars first, then the carb. I assume at the bar end you just have more room to work with than the carb pulley area.

Thanks, Jeff

• Hamish

Posted May 14, 2005 - 01:39 AM

Thanks guys for the tips.

Interesting about taking it off at the bars first, then the carb. I assume at the bar end you just have more room to work with than the carb pulley area.

Thanks, Jeff

There is no need to take the cable off the carb if you do it this way. Simply remove them from the bars and remove the carb and cables as one. Most carb work can be done without removing the cables at all. Pop the carb off the boots and twist it and you can change the needle and jets. You only really need to remove it for cleaning.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.