Edelbrock Carb For The Xr650

Hey,

I'm New To This Site, And Have A Question....i Just Picked Up A 2000 Xr650r, And Was Wondering If Anyone Knew Anything About Edelbrocks Carb With The Excellerator Pump In It? I Was Told At The Honda Shop That I Don't Want One Because At High Elevations They Don't Lean Out. So According To Them The Bike Will Run Very Rich And Won't Like It.

Thx

BANSHEE

The Honda guy's got it backwards. You have to stop and change jetting if you were to start at sea level jetted right, with a stock carburetor. By the time you got to about 5000' you would be thinking you would want to change your jetting and by 7000' you would be blowing black smoke. With the Edelbrock you could keep going but, if you wanted to fix it you would go a few clicks lean on the needle adjuster and ride on......... not, take the carburetor apart and change the needle setting and change the main jet.

I like the Mikuni TM40 better then the Edelbock for power and smoothness but, you can't beat the Edelbrock for ease of tunability!!!! ? and once you have the edelbrock bored out (from it's stock form of 36mm X 42mm to 40mm X 42mm, stock Kehin is 40mm) it gives even more power (flow)

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

http://www.borynack.com/Bruce/XR650R/HorsePowerMods.htm

http://www.borynack.com/Bruce/XR650R/dynocharts.htm

HEY THX FOR THE INFO EVERYONE.....I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE GUY AT THE HONDA SHOP MYSELF...LOL I LIVE IN EASTERN OREGON AND IT'S ABOUT 3000 TO 3500 ELEVATION HERE AT THE HOUSE. I DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH IT. AT THE TOP OF THE ELKHORNS IT'S ABOUT 8000 FT ON THE RIDGE TRAIL.. 4500 FT DIFFERENCE BUT I DON'T GO UP THERE TOO MUCH BECAUSE THE TRAIL REALLY ISN'T THAT LONG. PLUS IT HAS SOME REALLY NARROW SPOTS WHERE RUNS ALONG SHEAR CLIFFS...I'LL STICK TO MY TRIALS BIKE FOR THAT STUFF. THE NEW CARB WOULD BE NICE, BUT

THEY COST QUITE A BIT, SO I THINK I'LL JUST GET USE TO THE BIKE THE WAY IT IS FOR NOW...IT'S GOT WHAT THEY CALL THE HOP UP KIT ON IT NOW, A 4.3 GALLON TANK AND THE BAJA KIT, SO I THINK I'LL JUST RIDE IT LIKE IT IS...

I'M ALMOST 43 NOW, AND I HAVE RIDDEN TWO STROKES ALL MY LIFE...BUT NOW I'M GOING FOR A LITTLE BIT SLOWER PACE WITH THE ABILITY TO RIDE THREE TIMES AS FAR ON A TANK OF GAS. AND IT WILL BE NICE TO NOT HAVE TO DO THE PREMIX THING ANYMORE. PLUS IT'S COOL THAT I CAN JUST JUMP ON A HIGHWAY IF I NEED TO. NOW I WAS ALSO WONDERING ABOUT TIRES...I'M GOING TO BE RIDING THIS THING ABOUT 10 MILES ONE WAY TO WORK, AND I DON'T WANT THE NOBBYS FOR THAT...I WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING TRIALS TIRES ON IT...I HAD THEM ON MY DT 400 YAMAHA AND THEY SEEMED TO WEAR PRETTY GOOD ON THE ROAD, AND GAVE ME BETTER TRACTION IN THE DIRT THAN THE DUAL SPORT TIRES...IF YOU DON'T MIND, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK....I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE THE FIRST TIME IF I COULD....TIRES CAN BE SPENDY.

ANYWAY, THX AGAIN, AND I'M SURE I'LL BE TALKING TO YOU AGAIN SOON. I'M STILL GETTING USE TO THE SITE AND HOW IT WORKS, SO I MAY BE A LITTLE SLOW ON THE REPLYS FOR A BIT.

TALK TO YOU LATER,

BANSHEE (RAY) ?

If mostly road use...Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3 tyres front and rear...cheap to buy(here anyway).....with good grip......I`ve mine geared now after last week to 15 front and 40 rear(couldn`t get another 38!!)....it can even pulls this off road so you don`t have to chop and change......cruise all day at 80mph!!...standard carb too with the 68s jet and 172....for all I need it works.....I` am 41 yrs old and use it for everything..... ?

Hey Keith,

Thx. I'll Look Em Up Later On...i'll Probably Be About 50/50 On And Off The Road...three Other Guys Here Have Dual Sport Bikes, And They Want To Go Ride At Least Every Fri After Work.....should Be A Blast...

Thx Again,

Banshee(ray)