Starter issue

8 replies to this topic
  • gearbox

Posted May 11, 2005 - 11:54 AM

I am noticing a problem with my starter on my '04.
It seems that once in a while when I stall or shut the bike off and then try to restart it hesitates. It just gives one weak sounding chuck then stops.
It is not spinning it just stops. The battery has a strong charge.

All I have to do is roll the bike backwards a few inches while in gear so I can hear the starter gear spin a bit. Once I do that it fires right up.
It has happened two or three times now. It seems like there is a dead spot or something.

Anyone know for sure what the problem is? And what part do I replace???
Thanks for your help.

• BajaFool

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:18 PM

I've had the same problem on occasion with my 2003 WR450F. I just happens that you stopped the bike just before the piston reached top-dead-center (TDC). The starter is marginal on our bikes and it just doesn't have quite enough power to overcome the resistance caused by the compression in the cylinder without a little run at it, when the piston is in the TDC position. Just push the kick starter a little bit and the bike should start with the electric starter. I wouldn't worry about it, it seems to be common and doesn't cause any other problems.

• UGG

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:32 PM

I have an 03 WR450F which has started doing the same thing.
Battery is holding around 13.3V, but now and then (usually when i'm shagged) it won't turn over on electric start and have to rock the bike to get it to turn over or kick it. Local dealer reckons its the battery but I'm not so sure.
Ordered a new battery to prove it one way or another.
No problem from new till 4 months ago. :)

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 11, 2005 - 02:20 PM

My '04 has done the same thing since day 1. Like BajaFool says it just happens to stop in the wrong spot in the stroke. I just rock the bike slightly in gear and it fires right up. No big deal and it doesn't happen very often. Put your fears aside and go ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted May 11, 2005 - 03:15 PM

I have an 03 WR450F which has started doing the same thing.
Battery is holding around 13.3V, but now and then (usually when i'm shagged) it won't turn over on electric start and have to rock the bike to get it to turn over or kick it. Local dealer reckons its the battery but I'm not so sure.
Ordered a new battery to prove it one way or another.
No problem from new till 4 months ago. :)

Check the cranking voltage, if it drops below ~9.5V, it's the battery, otherwise there's something else going on....

• gearbox

Posted May 11, 2005 - 03:32 PM

Like I said already.... It's not the battery (full charge)
It has just recently started to do this and never happened before.
It has always turned over regardless of where it is in the stroke so I doubt that it is because it stopped just before TDC. Still seems like it is a starter issue to me.

• RichBaker

Posted May 11, 2005 - 04:23 PM

Someone here rebuilt their starter, and soldered all the armature wires(IIRC). The mfg. just crimped them, loosely! I need to get around to doing mine...
Just mentioned the cranking voltage 'cause you said you'd ordered a new battery to confirm the original was good. The CV check would save you that money/aggravation.....

• Dirtmizer

Posted May 11, 2005 - 04:54 PM

I agree with Bajafool, my 03 does the same thing occasionally and I give the kick starter a little kick, its usually pretty hard at first, but it doesn't take much. I always thought it had something to do with the YZ exhaust cam in my bike and the decompression button size difference if there is any???? Maybe the button wears a bit after a while and causes this little glitch after time?? no big deal for sure. :)

• gearbox

Posted May 11, 2005 - 04:55 PM

No Rich,
I didn't say I ordered a new battery. My battery is good.
Thanks though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.