So far.....05 WR450F or 05 CR450X ??

36 replies to this topic
  • freestyle250

Posted May 13, 2005 - 06:36 PM

I have been a yamaha guy my whole life, I bleed blue. I just went from a YZ 250 to an '05 WR 450, and I love it. The reason I chose to stick with the Yamaha is because they are so reliable. My YZ was an '88, and I beat the hell out of that bike. I was riding back when I wanted to do freestyle moto-x, so it took some hard hits, and kept on rolling. It seems to me that if you were to look at all the old bikes that are being ridden, there are more Yamaha's than anything else. A true testament to the strength of blue. Plus I heard that the CR has valve problems. And I personally dont like the alluminum frame, too much work to get around it went you need to make some adjustments. For my money, it just doesnt get any better than a Yamaha.

• rushfan

Posted May 13, 2005 - 07:44 PM

I waited for 2 years to make my decision to buy a new bike. I had been waiting for the CRF450X, anticipating it would be "the" replacement for my XR400. Having had the chance to ride a CRF I decided on a 05 WR. The CRF is a little more highstrung, rev happy, and a little more demanding, I felt. The CRF is definitely not the all conquering bike I was expecting it to be. And at 5'-9" and with a 30" inseam the WR fit me better too.

Considering that what made the XR such a great bike was its ability to be ridden constantly with little maintenance and no mechanical problems I knew I needed a hassle free new mount. My XR was solid, easy to ride and fun, I wanted its replacement to be all that and more. That being the case the WR was the best choice as a more modern replacement for my XR. The WR is great, and I can do things on it that I could only dream about doing on the XR. The CRF was good, but all things considered the WR was just right. For me anyway...

I couldn't of said it better myself. You are my new hero :)
That's my story exactly! I have been riding an xr 400 for four years, waiting for the x for a year or so, and was disappointed with the reviews on the new 450x for 05. My cousin bought the 05wr and I fell in ( i gotta get one right away ) love. After reading almost everything there was on the wr, and even considering a KTM exc400 at one point, I was sold on the wr. This bike is bitchen...Can I say that? :D

• madbajan

Posted May 18, 2005 - 11:32 AM

I think you guys may have swung me back to Yamaha. I have had YZ426 WR400 WR426 and a have an 04 450 in BC, After I sold the two 426s both bikes dropped valves with the new owners and totalled the engines!!! Now here's a coincidence both bikes were sold to two guys one black, one white with exactly the same first and surnames!! I never had any troubles with the bikes but after the valve dropping I'm a bit worried about buying another one. Also a bit paranoid about the CRF as these seem to be having troubles also. I just sold my KTM exc 300 which was the most bulletproof bike I've ever owned but a bit skittish so am wondering the next move. this was an insightful few opinions but still has me on the two stroke edge reliability wise. Anyone else dropped valves? The 450 x is sex on wheels but I want something which can take a serious thrashing and come out alive as down here we have no access to dealers everything has to be ordered through the mail.My WR is in BC Canada I have an XR400 in ST Lucia but want a thrasher for here in Barbados where its dry hot n high speed 6 months and wet slippery n muddy six months...........................What kind of milage does the WR450 do before busting its guts?............safe journeys, Baje.

• RichBaker

Posted May 18, 2005 - 11:59 AM

OK.
Today I rode it just for a while after all the free mods (Jets still stock)
Its a rocket compared with my old '99 YZ400F and lighter.
My only problem now is a lot of backfire and that after its warmed up it doesn´t start unless I use the choke. :)
Also going steady on 1st low it works uneven, accelerate & deccelerate alone.
Thank you

The WR, like every other EPA legal bike, comes corked up and jetted lean. You uncork her, you will need to rejet to get her to run correctly. This is NOT Yamahas choice, it is EPA-mandated....if you know what you're doing, it's very simple to get her right!
A 162 or 165 main jet, 44 pilot, and an 04 WR needle(it's adjustable, the 05 is not) will get you in the ballpark....

• byggd

Posted May 18, 2005 - 12:33 PM

EPA maybe......but the 03 and 04 still got red stickered as well as the 05 WR250!

• RichBaker

Posted May 18, 2005 - 02:33 PM

They got red-stickered because they didn't have the AIS, the needle is adjustable and the fuel screw wasn't blocked off...the corking and lean jetting IS EPA mandated! Why else do you think it was US-models only?? The rest of the world got a properly tuned WR....

• MKP

Posted May 19, 2005 - 02:54 PM

I live in south america (Chile), bought a new '05 WR450F and it came with all the restrictions (AIS, Throttle Stop, Snorkel, etc).

• simon@vic

Posted May 19, 2005 - 08:31 PM

I have ridden the wr450 and the crf450x both are great bikes.

The Yamaha has a stronger motor IMHO esp with a YZ cam.

having said that, i will never buy a new bike that only has 5 gears.
ktm 400-575exc is what to get next time .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simica

Posted May 19, 2005 - 09:07 PM

I have ridden the wr450 and the crf450x both are great bikes.

The Yamaha has a stronger motor IMHO esp with a YZ cam.

having said that, i will never buy a new bike that only has 5 gears.
ktm 400-575exc is what to get next time .

What kind of riding do you do mostly that you have to have a 6th gear? If you're talking about top end speed, don't believe what the magazines say about top end speed. I have a friend that has an '04 525 with 6 speeds and I have the new WR. The few times that we have drag raced, are top speeds have been just about equal. Then recently I learned that he is running a 48 tooth rear sprocket and I'm running a 50 :) . There are other reasons why people like KTMs, but the 6th gear is not a major factor.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 20, 2005 - 07:15 AM

What kind of riding do you do mostly that you have to have a 6th gear? If you're talking about top end speed, don't believe what the magazines say about top end speed. I have a friend that has an '04 525 with 6 speeds and I have the new WR. The few times that we have drag raced, are top speeds have been just about equal. Then recently I learned that he is running a 48 tooth rear sprocket and I'm running a 50 :) . There are other reasons why people like KTMs, but the 6th gear is not a major factor.

I dont think the top speed of a 6 spd bike in any greater, if so, barely than the 5 spd, I beleive the gear spacing is just closer. I see the KTM 450 had a top spd of 106 and the same year WR wa 96 (I assume this is redline in high gear) The WR has enough snort to accomodate the wider spacing. :D

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 20, 2005 - 10:16 AM

Agree with you "JT", I had a '99 YZ400F wich I sold two weeks ago to buy the new '05 WR450F and did anything to it but changing oil and filter.
Today I changed PJ #45 for #48 and no more backfire !!!! :) :D
Also changed MJ #165 for #170.
I'm still have some problems with warm start, could be Starter Jet ? :) :D
Thank you.

What is the altitude that you ride at?

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 20, 2005 - 11:30 AM

EPA maybe......but the 03 and 04 still got red stickered as well as the 05 WR250!

You mean "almost all got red stickered" :) My 8th digit in my VIN is a "W", not the red sticker "C" or the number "3" :D

• MKP

Posted May 20, 2005 - 11:48 AM

What is the altitude that you ride at?

I ride 0-3000', 60-70 deg.
Today I could get at the Fuel Screw (took out the little plate) and gave it 1/2 turn out. Here (Chile) they don´t have Zip Ty fuel screw.

Cold start and warm start remained the same, no change.
A little throttle twist helped enough.
What is your opinion ?

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 20, 2005 - 11:59 AM

http://www.ziptyraci...ryID=110&order=

I ordered my fuel screw straight from the dude. It would be a good thing for you to have.

I assume your altitude is in METRES?

I'm at 5700 feet and ride up to 11500 feet and have pretty lean jetting compared to other YZs but it works nicely.
pj 38
needle at #3
MJ 158

WARNING! This is for my YZ at this altitude. But for comparisons, I had a 45 PJ and 165 mj and it ran burbly, started badly, and fouled all the time. I have no idea what the previous owner thought.

I found on my YZ that having it too rich on the pilot jet, like way too rich, it would start fine cold and be very very hard to start when hot. Also it would gasfoul the spark plug and run very badly.

I have my bike much leaner now and it runs nice and crisp with no hesitations. Also, I found that the AP was activating way too soon and flooding it out, maybe contributing to the gas fouling.

I bought this bike used so it took a bit of fiddling. It runs perfectly now. Keep trying.

And try to only change ONE thing at a time.

• MKP

Posted May 24, 2005 - 05:05 AM

Here is the link to MotorcycleUSA WR450F v/s CRF450 comparo:

http://www.motorcycl...eID=2102&Page=1

:) :D :)

• panz

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:24 PM

just got the wr450fv
i am taking it to vegas and then over to Califronia city this weekend.
Did the Snorkel out mod
AIS removal Kit
Grey Wire
Considering a new FMF exahust.
I was wondering if I should got it with the jets that are in the bike. They changed them at the dealer but I do not know what they put in and this is an area where I am ignorant

• MKP

Posted February 21, 2006 - 05:06 AM

First, ride your bike and feel how it works and how well it starts (cold & warm)
Then inspect the spark plug:
1) White colour--> too Lean-->change to 48pj,170 or 175mj, fuel-screw 2 turns out.
2) Dark colour-->too Rich-->reduce pilot jet size and close half a turn the fuel screw.

I ride 0-2000 feet and 60-80 F.
In winter (60-65 F) I use pilot jet #48.
In summer (65-80 F) I use pilot jet #45

Main Jet fixed on 175.
Stock needle (Don´t see the need to change it for JD)
Baffle, snorkel, AIS, all of them out.
Cold start on second try with choke.
Hot start on first try (no need of Hot Start Knob)

You don´t need to remove the carb to change pilot & main jets.
To adjust the fuel-screw
My bike runs very well now, idles OK and no bog at all.
Marco

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.