So far.....05 WR450F or 05 CR450X ??

36 replies to this topic
  • MKP

Posted May 11, 2005 - 08:50 AM

I'm new with 05 WR450F (2 weeks).
I was just about to buy the new 05 CRF450X (didn´t try it out), but chose the Blue-one.
Due to the amount of mods I have already done (Throttle Stop, Grey Wire, Baffle out, AIS out, Snorkel out) and the many others to come (Jetting), I wander if I chose well ? :)
I agree that my money is already "out of the pocket" :D , but I´d like to relax my soul knowing better if my choice was good or bad.
If anybody had tried out both models, please give me your opinion.
Thank you

• rushfan

Posted May 11, 2005 - 11:37 AM

I was considering the Honda but talked myself out of it for a couple of very important reasons ( to make a long story short ).
#1 Maintenance. The Honda needs the valves adjusted a lot more often and I didn't want to always have to wrench on my bike. I just want to gas and go.
#2 The wr beat the Honda in all of the taste test for 05...Power, handling, shifting etc.
It even beat out the new KTM exc 450.

• MKP

Posted May 11, 2005 - 11:51 AM

OK.
Today I rode it just for a while after all the free mods (Jets still stock)
Its a rocket compared with my old '99 YZ400F and lighter.
My only problem now is a lot of backfire and that after its warmed up it doesn´t start unless I use the choke. :)
Also going steady on 1st low it works uneven, accelerate & deccelerate alone.
Thank you

• bandit99

Posted May 11, 2005 - 11:55 AM

The WR450 comes from the factory with a lean pilot jet. Try going up a size, it may help. Rejetting top to bottom would be best.

• DesertWR

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:13 PM

OK.
My only problem now is a lot of backfire and that after its warmed up it doesn´t start unless I use the choke. :)
Also going steady on 1st low it works uneven, accelerate & deccelerate alone.
Thank you

Rejet your Carb!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:28 PM

Due to the amount of mods I have already done (Throttle Stop, Grey Wire, Baffle out, AIS out, Snorkel out) and the many others to come (Jetting), I wander if I chose well ? :)

The tragic part of all this is that you lost an hour of your life with these mods.. Just think you'll never get that hour back.. I too was exhausted pulling that tricky baffle out and don't get me started on the complexity of the snorkel unit... Whew... That one's a toughy to pull out. I agree, way too much work for the common man...

You should've bought the CRF450X for sure, it's the "Bike of the year"

Dan :D

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:46 PM

id rather be dead then to ride red.

• simica

Posted May 11, 2005 - 01:06 PM

"You should've bought the CRF450X for sure, it's the "Bike of the year". - DL

Is Dirt Rider the only mag you read? The Honda came in third behind the KTM and WR in Dirt Bike. And after reading that horrible article in DR (Dr. Dirt - WR Free Mods), based on the '04 WR (it is May 2005), I'm beginning to wonder if they've even ridden an '05.

• rushfan

Posted May 11, 2005 - 01:09 PM

The tragic part of all this is that you lost an hour of your life with these mods.. Just think you'll never get that hour back.. I too was exhausted pulling that tricky baffle out and don't get me started on the complexity of the snorkel unit... Whew... That one's a toughy to pull out. I agree, way too much work for the common man...

Dan :)

No sir. The wr is. :D

• Gadsen

Posted May 11, 2005 - 05:55 PM

WR becasue it weighs the same, has more HP, and MSRP is $400 less! But I have always like the Honda CRF's too!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 12, 2005 - 08:09 AM

"You should've bought the CRF450X for sure, it's the "Bike of the year". - DL

Is Dirt Rider the only mag you read? The Honda came in third behind the KTM and WR in Dirt Bike. And after reading that horrible article in DR (Dr. Dirt - WR Free Mods), based on the '04 WR (it is May 2005), I'm beginning to wonder if they've even ridden an '05.

C'mon simica...... Where's your sense of humor? I was just kiddin around. :) Read my post again... :D

• Math

Posted May 12, 2005 - 09:18 AM

Dan :)

Yeah and the guy's signature says "05WR450f"! :) LOL!

Simica will learn to know you Dan. :D

• JTWR450

Posted May 12, 2005 - 12:00 PM

Tell you what.... go trade the WR in on X, adjust the valves until you need a new piston or better yet blow the thing up lose your 7K bucks then go get the WR again.....just kiddin. You made the right choice if you wanted a bulletproof, liquid cooled thumper that just plain kicks ass!!!! I know of no other bike I would rather ride than the one I have.....WR450.

Have fun on the new ride.

• motojason

Posted May 12, 2005 - 12:36 PM

I waited for 2 years to make my decision to buy a new bike. I had been waiting for the CRF450X, anticipating it would be "the" replacement for my XR400. Having had the chance to ride a CRF I decided on a 05 WR. The CRF is a little more highstrung, rev happy, and a little more demanding, I felt. The CRF is definitely not the all conquering bike I was expecting it to be. And at 5'-9" and with a 30" inseam the WR fit me better too.

Considering that what made the XR such a great bike was its ability to be ridden constantly with little maintenance and no mechanical problems I knew I needed a hassle free new mount. My XR was solid, easy to ride and fun, I wanted its replacement to be all that and more. That being the case the WR was the best choice as a more modern replacement for my XR. The WR is great, and I can do things on it that I could only dream about doing on the XR. The CRF was good, but all things considered the WR was just right. For me anyway...

• aircop

Posted May 12, 2005 - 01:32 PM

You made the right choice..I can tell you I have heard many complaints about the valves going out with the Honda's. Yamaha has the best design currently. Relax and enjoy your bike!

• bluethundaaaa

Posted May 12, 2005 - 01:56 PM

You could not have made a better choice. Think of the mods as a quiet, intimate time to get aquainted with your new spouse....um I mean bike.

GO BLUE!! :)

• MKP

Posted May 12, 2005 - 02:17 PM

Agree with you "JT", I had a '99 YZ400F wich I sold two weeks ago to buy the new '05 WR450F and did anything to it but changing oil and filter.
Today I changed PJ #45 for #48 and no more backfire !!!! :D :)
Also changed MJ #165 for #170.
I'm still have some problems with warm start, could be Starter Jet ? :D :)
Thank you.

• simica

Posted May 12, 2005 - 09:34 PM

C'mon simica...... Where's your sense of humor? I was just kiddin around. :) Read my post again... :D

OK! You got me. I'm still kind of new to TT and I'm trying to learn everyones personalities so that I don't offend anyone. I'm usually pretty outspoken and quick to it.

Seriously though, was anyone else upset at Dirt Riders article in the most current mag about the free mods that were based on the '04? The '05 fixed three or four of the issues they talked about.

• Texas4play

Posted May 13, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Upset? No. The article, I believe, was meant to be read as a "how-to" on the 03/04 models. I asked co-author Rick Diaz (TT member RADRick) about why no '05 article and he responded that they were working on a series of articles geared towards trail riders / bike mods, etc ... So don't get mad, get GLAD!!

• farmrider

Posted May 13, 2005 - 03:23 PM

Simica...yours is an example of the insightful, well reasearched opinions that make T.T. great. Congratulations sir.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.