1991 xr600r dualsport

9 replies to this topic
  • marioct

Posted May 11, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Hello, I have been reading the good info on xr's but I have a question. I can buy a 1991 xr600r for a good price, looks clean but it has a "powerup bigbore kit" the owner told me about. The question is three part.
1. Does the supposed"power up kit 630cc?" hurt the reliability of the bike?
2. How will this bike do on the highway(35 mile stints).
3. does this year and model(1991 xr600r), have any issues I should look for?
Thanks in advance!

• miguelitro

Posted May 11, 2005 - 07:56 AM

I just sold a 91 600r and i loved it!!!
I used it for around the town street riding, tight trails, and desert racing. It worked great for all of those.
Riding it for sustained periods on the freeway will not hurt the bike if it is geared correctly so that it is not revving out while going 70 mph.
The gearbox problems in the early xr's were fixed befor 91, so the only problem with the power up kits is paying alittle more for top end rebuilds when the time comes.
These bikes eat rear sprockets so keep an eye on that, allways go with steel sprockets and keep an eye on your chain wearing out as this will cause the sprockets to wear real fast.
Just be sure to change your oil and filter every 500 miles and keep the air filter clean and you'll have a great ride. XR's though heavy and outdated are the most reliable bike out there as well as being very ridable.
I had a scotts damper on mine and it made a huge difference on road and off, never had it on the freeway but i think it woould have been down right frightening without the damper.(note-I'm just saying this because I have a mounting kit for sale, for a great price, that i want to get rid of!!! Joking, well kinda)
Good luck and keep us posted-
Mike

• bootlegger2

Posted May 12, 2005 - 03:22 AM

just wondering how the damper worked on the bike in tight trails never rode with one but herd it make a big difference when you are bouncing off the trees a little makes it feel like they arent even there to a certain amount of coarse you couldnt just plow into one but when you graze them
do you have the deal or just the mounting for it

• miguelitro

Posted May 12, 2005 - 07:04 AM

the scotts is better than GPR in that aspect. You can have it cranked down for high speed stuff on the high speed(handlebar turning/bumping not bike speed) circut and little to no restriction for turning your bars through thte tight stuff which wears you out real quik.
I have the GPR right now and they are trash(sorry to anyone who has one) They come with a big knob to make them adjustable on the fly but in a race you cant stop or even take your hands off as the terrain changes from wfo to very slow and tight.
The Scotts makes a huge difference for comfort and safety and for a few dollars more than the GPR it is worth it, dont even waste your money on a GPR is my not so humble opinion.
Cant wait to have 130$ for the mounting kit so i can scrap this GPR piece of crap,
Mike

• marioct

Posted May 12, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info. Every 500 miles on the oil? Wow, that is pretty often. Should standard oil be used(car oil vs mc oil)?
I appreciate the offer on the damper but I need some other gear first.
You also mentioned rebuilding the top end often, How often? What(besides white smoke), is the indicator of time for a rebuild?
Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted May 13, 2005 - 07:26 AM

I ran Castrol GTX 10-40 in mine, and in my 650r, I think that oil changes are cheap insurance so I do them more often than most. White smoke while cold is not ahuge problem as long as it doesnt smoke when warm, mine took at least 5 minutes to warm all the way up, then the valves would seat and no more smoke.
Check your valves not do top ends, important service and real easy on the 600.
Mike

• marioct

Posted May 19, 2005 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the info!
I need a front and rear tire soon. What brand is best for 60%street 40%dirt?

• sportbiker929

Posted May 19, 2005 - 07:31 AM

I had a 91 dual sported and I loved it. Great bike, plenty of power. Not sure about 630cc kit. I am sure its still solid.

• ghoti

Posted May 19, 2005 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Every 500 miles on the oil? Wow, that is pretty often. Should standard oil be used(car oil vs mc oil)?
I appreciate the offer on the damper but I need some other gear first.
You also mentioned rebuilding the top end often, How often? What(besides white smoke), is the indicator of time for a rebuild?
Thanks!

Do a search on oil, it's a popular subject. Many use diesel oil, myself included. If you just ride on the street, ie. little dust, not full throttle, high revs, you can stretch out the change frequency. Oil is cheap though, so why scrimp.

• marioct

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the info. I love the bike and it does pretty good on the highway(70mph). I used to have a GSXR 750 and loved the speed and adrenaline. It sux being chased by cops when you go fast or lift the front end. I guess I grew up(or assessed the risk), and wanted to get back to dirt.
Thanks fellas.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.