2001 WR426F hard to start

10 replies to this topic
  • gura

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:06 AM

I bought a 2001 WR426 about a month ago, stock except the exhaust baffle was removed. It started first kick for a few weeks, but now takes 10-15 minutes to start. It backfires a bit during this time. I have done the following three things which could be the culprit:
1. Started running premium gas- previous owner used regular
2. Cleaned and oiled air filter
3. Gave it a few good washings- plugged the exhaust during the washing

I have now drained the carb and replaced the spark plug- still wont start.

I did get it to start last night, and it would not idle. I adjusted the idle, and it retstarted fine several times after that. I will check it on cold start tonight.

By the way, the plug was nasty, and there was some H2O in the carb, so thanks for those tips.

• 96warrior

Posted May 11, 2005 - 07:42 AM

When mine does that, its time for a new spark plugg. A way to get it to start is to pull in the decompression lever and kick it over 15 to 20 times. This will clean the bike out.

Then do the standard starting procedure. Should fire right up. Can't believe he was running anything less then premium in a 12.5 to 1 bike :)

• Math

Posted May 11, 2005 - 08:58 AM

Do yourself a favor and drain the carb from the bottom nut (the big 15mm under the carb).

Unscrew it, rinse it with fuel and put it back to its place.

My WR does that sometimes after a wash or after I went playing in deep water. I don't know where the water comes from...

You might just solve your problem right away and it's easy to do.

If not, we'll dig further.

Keep us informed.

Oh and please... stop kicking this bike! If it's not alive after the fourth kick or so... stop kicking... it's worth nothing to kick like 10 minutes. Your 426 is supposed to fire 1st kick, 2nd or third at the worse. If it doesn't, then there is a problem.

• jwriott

Posted May 11, 2005 - 09:02 AM

You need to get on the motoman393 section of TT and do the free mods. Especially the BK mod to limit the squirt duration.

Like these guys have said, if it doesn't light right off the bat, I'd change the plug. Go to Harbor Freight and get a spark plug cleaner for $10. It will save you a lot of $$.

• gura

Posted May 11, 2005 - 09:16 AM

My right leg thanks you :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rooster426

Posted May 14, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Everyone has there own sweet spot to fire up the ol' 426. Here is mine-- pull the decomp lever in, kick 4-5 to clean her out, then on the "fire up" kick I actually let the decomp lever out halfway through the kick, works like clockwork every time. I remember when I bought the bike it took a good couple weeks to figure out what was the easiest way to start the bike. You just got to find out what works. I read several different ways that you can try, but once you get it, it won't let you down.

• cork44

Posted May 14, 2005 - 01:27 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read here on this site that you should run regular gas. Premium actually makes it run worse for some reason. Anyone else read up about this?

• sampaul245

Posted May 14, 2005 - 11:38 PM

The way i start my 2001 WR426 is nudge it past the compression stroke about an inch on the kick starter. dont touch the throttle i hold the bar next to it then one big kick , mine goes in 1 or 2 kicks.
the first week i had it i was limping on my right foot ow

• Strattos

Posted May 16, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Have you checked your valve clearances?

If your inlet valves have closed up the bike will still run, but hard starting is a symptom, and given you've checked all the other possibles it might be worth a look.

• Bamster

Posted May 16, 2005 - 06:58 PM

If your inlet valves have closed up the bike will still run, but hard starting is a symptom, and given you've checked all the other possibles it might be worth a look.

This is very good advise.

But it sounds like water in the bowl, drain it. An over all cleaning of the carb would'nt hurt either.

• bdruff

Posted May 29, 2009 - 01:34 PM

Have you checked your valve clearances?

how do you check valve clearance?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.