Ktm 525exc Vs Wr450

10 replies to this topic
  • GMAN69

Posted May 10, 2005 - 11:22 AM

Well if you have any dirt on the ktm let me know because im seriously thinking about getting one instead of the wr. I have only read good things so far but then agian ive only been looking at them for a few days. Its a grand more but you get alot for the money so it seems.

• JTWR450

Posted May 10, 2005 - 11:30 AM

They are sweet bikes for sure, I owned one. I went to the Yami becuse of the fact the nearest KTM dealer was 80 miles away. I also found that the parts are more money, the oil change process is a bit more involved (2 filters 2 screens) and to tell you the truth, it just felt weird when I rode it, twitchy, funny fibration and NEEDED a steering stabilizer too. They do come with many great things: bars, pipe, pegs, hydro clutch etc. Again, sweet rig just not the rig for me. The WR is cheaper to run and maintain and with a larger after market, more dealers, and more people on them I chose to sell the Orange and ride Blue.

• Dingo151

Posted May 10, 2005 - 11:39 AM

What's the weight diffrence between the two?

• GMAN69

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:12 PM

ktm brochure says 248

• JTWR450

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:21 PM

If you have good dealer support the KTM is a GREAT bike for sure. I would not listen to weight in brochures though. The best thing to do is go down to the dealer, have them lay one over on the showroom floor, and then pick the think up like you would have to do in the dirt. The bike will not get hurt and tell them to put the bike over so that they have all the liabilty if the bike gets scratched. It is all about the real world with these things and brochures are sales tools, nothing else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chevy_Cowboy

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:26 PM

according to most of the magazine tests where they wiegh each bike, the KTM 450exc is the lightest of the 450s and the 525 is actually alittle lighter I think

• bandit99

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:50 PM

I own a WR450 and have rode a KTM 525 exc. I love both bikes. I felt the KTM is great if you are a little taller. I am 5'10" but I think it would be a little better if I was 6'1" or taller. I chose the Yamaha because I can get parts easy and the bike was cheaper to buy. After you do the mods on the Yamaha it is pretty low maintenance. The KTM doesn't have much oil capacity so you need to change it often. You can't go wrong with either bike, they are quality machines.

• GMAN69

Posted May 10, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Wow I didnt expect to get all rave reviews of the ktm from you guys. Thats great though keep em coming. I feel the 426 I ride now is a little cramped when standing even with cr double highs and a tall seat. So the taller ktm may fit. I change my oil every 5 hours on the yamaha so I would probobly continue the practice.

• JTWR450

Posted May 10, 2005 - 02:32 PM

Gman,
Like I said everthing about the Yami makes it a better bike for ME. That may not be the case for you. I was not overly impressed with the 450 MXC I owned and if I was in the market for a KTM the ONLY one I would look at would be the 300 EXC 2 smoker. I LOVE my WR and would not trade it today for any other bike out there, period. It fits me well, has the MOST bulletproof design and motor of ANY 450 thumper and it is EASY to work on. Trust me I am no mechanic and don't want to become one.....the Yamaha is the XR equivalent to todays liquid cooled thumpers. That is why people buy them. The design is proven, the dealers are everwhere, they are the least expensive thumper to own, and parts are easy to come by. The KTM may be the #1 bike by all the mags; then again they have factory wrenchers there to make sure everything is perfect. The question becomes which one do you trust to get you home after an 80 mile ride??? If you question the KTM buy the Yamaha.

• Gadsen

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:40 PM

Well if you have any dirt on the ktm let me know because im seriously thinking about getting one instead of the wr. I have only read good things so far but then agian ive only been looking at them for a few days. Its a grand more but you get alot for the money so it seems.

OK, from the May 05 issue of Dirt Bike magazine, thhy had a shootout with the 05 KTM450 EXC, the WR450F, Husky and the Honda.

Weight for the KTM is 251, MSRP is $7298, noise is 95.3
" " WR is 259, MSRP is $6599, noise is 92.0

Horsepower was

KTM 42.3
WR 44.92
Honda CRF450X was 42.46
Husky at 44.64

In the shootout, Yamaha made the most HP, but this is with the throttle stop remove, snorkel opened up and grey wire snipped.

• GMAN69

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:50 PM

Thats the 450 though im looking at the 525 its got over 50 hp.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.