'05 WR450F AIS removing help

6 replies to this topic
  • MKP

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:00 AM

New with a '05 WR450F :) , I live in Chile (South America).
I´ve been following the forums and now it's clear to me the benefits of removing AIS.
Considering that here in Chile I don´t have a quick access to an AIS Removal Kit, may I just cut the three hoses that goes to the AIS pump and cap them with a bolt (screw) and clamp ?
Thank you for your advice.

• Texas4play

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:43 AM

You can plug the rubber line with a rubber cork and re-connect, yes.

• MKP

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:46 AM

I'll do that. :) :D
Sure is the same as taking it all out and filling the holes with the plugs that come with the kit you have in the State.
Thank you :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigbluejoe

Posted May 10, 2005 - 02:28 PM

I went in on my 'O5 WR and made my own AIS removal kit for the single reason I could not see a picture or find a description of what you get in the kit offered on this website.
Here's what I came up with.
The air box comes with a plug covering the bottom drain.
I removed it and put in on the AIS supply nipple off the top of the air box. I left the air box drain open because I prefer the air box to "self drain". The 1/4" nipple up against the head I plugged with a rubber cap and used the same wire clip. For the air injection nipple (on the head), I put a piece of 3/8" steel rod in my drill press and filed it down until it was about .005" bigger than the ID of the nipple. Heating the nipple up to red, I tapped in the (now frozen) rod. Rather permanent but it ain't comin out or loosening off.

Project cost was about $2.00.

• MKP

Posted May 11, 2005 - 05:58 AM

OK, bigblue, you have good skills on that :) , I'm not good in mechanics :D .
But please tell me if what I did last nite is OK and wont damage my brand-new bike. :)
1) I disconnected the three rubber hoses from the AIS pump.
2) Removed the AIS pump but left the 3 rubber hoses as is.
3) Took 2 bolts and covered the threaded part with tape to adjust them to the 2 bigger hoses, then plugged them and used the same clamps.
4) Plugged the small rubber hose with a small plastic screw.

Is it OK?

• bigbluejoe

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:19 AM

I don't see a problem with your method as long as everything is tied down solid.
Good job!

• MKP

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:47 AM

Just to mention that I have problem with warm starting, it doesn´t start unless I put the choke. Also a lot off backfire, and a poor idle.
I did:
- Throttle stop cutting (to 25mm total, and 20 mm of thread, is it OK? :) )
- Baffle removal
- Snorkel out & holes in air box
- Grey Wire
- AIS out

This weekend I'll ride and see how it works before doing more mods (Jetting?).
Thank you.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.