Utah skid plate

8 replies to this topic
  • rushfan

Posted May 10, 2005 - 03:50 AM

Last week I asked you guys about what skid plate to use on my 05 wr450. Most of you said the one from Utah Cycle. Well, that's the one that I got. I noticed when I put it on that it just bolted right in the frame holes from the removed slide plate instead of using the frame brackets that it came with. Does that sound right?? Or do I need to use the brackets? Other then that, it's beefy and it looks great. Thanks for the help.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:31 AM

I just used the single bolt in the upper left corner of the skidplate in the front but I had to use the clamps on the underside at the back. It has been that way for a 1 1/2 years and over 3000 miles and have had no problems.
Jim

• rushfan

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:48 AM

:D Ohhh...The clamps work in the back, huh? I was thinking that they go in front. Those darn instructions only come with words and sentences and all of that useless junk...no pictures! What's up with that!!! :)
Hey thanks for the help.

• C-ya

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:34 AM

rushfan,

Yeah, the clamps are a pain in the pee-pee. I just put mine on Sunday. I was laying under the bike, lining holes and clamps, cursing and swearing...

Glad to hear Jim's experience with not using all of them. Should have NO probs with them on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fredneck75

Posted May 10, 2005 - 01:57 PM

Yes - The clamps go in the back. They loop over the inside frame tube, not the outside tube (Its the only way it will work anyway). The top bolt on the front goes in easily, the two below it need to be a bit longer in my opinion, but they will work. Good Luck.

• C-ya

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I got a longer bolt for the one to use with a spacer.

The front two clamps go on the down-tubes that cradle the motor. The back clamp goes on the side tube (fore-aft), not the side-side tube.

If you need pics, I'll try...

• Fredneck75

Posted May 11, 2005 - 04:13 AM

I only got two clamps (rear) and 3 bolts (Front) with mine (05-WR450).

• rushfan

Posted May 11, 2005 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for all of the help. :)

• C-ya

Posted May 11, 2005 - 05:43 AM

I only got two clamps (rear) and 3 bolts (Front) with mine (05-WR450).

That may be the difference - I have a '99 WR400. I got 4 bolts (one with a spacer), and 3 clamps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.